Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tilapia buttikoferi starts to attack
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozozo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)4:04    Post subject: Tilapia buttikoferi starts to attack Reply with quote

I bought this "Tilapia buttikoferi" 3 weeks ago and till yesterday there was no problem. Yesterday I bought 2 frontosa and then tulipa started to attack only one of my brand new frontosas. Other big frontosa started to attack to new frontosa too. what should I do?

pic. of buttikoferi is at:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cichlids_african/buttikoferi.htm
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tilapia are notoriously aggressive, territorial fish. Fronts are also territorial. Just on face, the problem seems to me to be that your tank is too small for either of them. 70l isn't adequate space for either fish to establish its own space.

Honestly, if it were me, I would take them back to your lfs or find someone who has a large enough tank to comfortably house them. A tank your size would more readily lend itself towards yellow labs or some of the smaller africans (Tilapia and Frontosa grow to be over 30cm each).
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second benedictj's recommendation and URGE you to return all these fish to the shop as soon as possible. I'd give less than a month before at least 2 of those 3 cichlids in your tank are dead. A 70 L tank is only big enough to house cichlid species that grow to 10 cm size at best, and even so many of them would be just too territorial to get along in a tank so small.

Wait until you can set up a 400+ liter tank to satisfy your desire to own Frontosas and Buttikoferis...read their pages in the Gallery section of the site to get a better idea of what they're like and what they need to do well.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Marcos. I used to work in a fish shop and we sold these fish and despite selling them to only people who had big enough tanks to house them, people would often return these fish, after they had killed or injured tankmates. They are only compatible with very robust fish. They also grow large, and grow very quickly too. I would return this fish. If you are looking to keep African Cichlids in your tank, I would recommend some of the smaller Tanganyikan species, such as Julidochromis or Shelldwellers.
ozozo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)7:12    Post subject: about buttikoferi Reply with quote

After reading your advices, I decided to grow that buttikoferi until it attacks the others because it is not causing a damage to my fish except new frontosa and I am keeping the new frontosa in a small tank. When buttikoferi is big enough I will bring it to the shop and change it with the fish you suggested, you know the big fish is the big money to barter.(I'll keep my eyes on buttikoferi!) actually I search for the images of the buttikoferi and I think, I made a mistake when buying it! (it says: up tu 40cm long, in the site) Thanks again.
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times LFS will not take back bigger fish because they will be unable to sell them again (how many times have you seen the lonely big fish in a tank all alone). I would take them back now if you were planning on taking them back and get something that is more compatible to the size of your tank.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider sending it back to the store before it gets too big for the tank because of stunting that will occur while in the tank you have it in now.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: