Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
rose anemones
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)12:58    Post subject: rose anemones Reply with quote

whats the general opinion of rose bubble-tipped anemones as hosts for clowns? Are they well-taken too? Are there any concerns regarding their care that are out of the ordinary? I'm in the process of selecting an anemone for my clowns, but would like to make sure that I choose an acceptable specimen!
thanks...
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want my honest opinion, there IS no acceptable anemone for aquarium use, especially when desired merely for the benefit of captive clownfish which don't need them anyway.
Now that the coral farmers have perfected the methods needed for mass-culture of corals, it sure would be nice if they'd shift some of their attention toward the propagation of anemones.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a green BTA and my maroon clown was in it within the first 5 or hours it was in the tank. Now he barely leaves it.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hit or miss, but a lot depends on your system. Adequate light and flow are important, but consistant water quality is of high importance. If your water quality is not stable and in good condition, you can't keep one. You should defintely re-think it though. Unless your system is stable and mature, it is a gamble and if one dies on you while you are away, it can make a huge mess of your tank...they rot rapidly causing other problems. W/O knowing more about your setup, it is impossible to say if you can keep one healthy or not. If in doubt, don't do it. Keeping it alive just doesn't cut it, you want to keep it healthy and growing.

I have a green bta and a pair of percula's...they won't go anywhere near the anemone. Mine was a rescue and recovered nicely, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that. Rescue's are difficult to say the least.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually all of the RBTAs being sold now are captive propagated. That does not, however, make them an easier than their brethren. A well-matured tank and years of successful marine experience are DEFINITELY required. RBTAs have no requirements beyond any BTAs, but again, that doesn't mean they're easy, not by a long shot. As to whether your Clowns will "take to it", it can be a toss up, even with species that will normally use Entacmaea quadricolor in the wild, such as the Maroon.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juice, here is a lengthy article that may help you... be advised, I am not suggesting you get an anemone, as I have discouraged many from even trying them; only shifting you to more info.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the feedback!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: