Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New 75gal Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)11:51    Post subject: New 75gal Tank Reply with quote

Hello I'm new to the Salt water tank thing and was wondering what else I need and to to run it DO I really need a Protein skimmer? What I have now is two 301 Power heads and 1200 Aquaclear Filter going I got the sand in and am wanting to put Live rock in the Salinty reads 1.022-1.023 shoud I keep adding salt till it reaches the right spot?? and how long does it take for the salt water to become clear??? I have all this stuff that came w/ it and really don't think I need it all Please Help

Troy
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...looks like you've got a few questions that need attention. First off, 1.022 is the right spot, no need to increase your salinity. By "cloudy water" what do you think is the source? Poor water quality? Likely it is just dust and debris from whatever substrate you chose to line the base of the tank with. It usually settles out in a few days, if it doesn't it might not be the source to begin with. Read up a lot about the cycling process if you haven't already, it is the first place that newcomers err in starting up a tank. You can never know too much on the matter.
As far as equipment goes, you need to get ahold of that protein skimmer. A tank that size will show significant benefit from having one in place, and it'll save you a lot of money in avoided problems down the line. Suck up the initial cost and just put it in there! Other equipment should include more than 1 powerhead totalling 10x turnover per hour of your tank water, 2 - 125 watt heaters, and a few other odds and ends.
Hope that at least gets you started..
juice
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.022 is marginally okay for fish, but it just won't do for live rock. Raise it to 1.024 at least, or 1.025. Even 1.026 is okay, but I personally would stop at 25.

The cloudiness will clear up in another day or so. Don't add any salt until it is clear, though, because the salinity will rise a bit as the salt causing the cloudiness finally dissolves.

Have you ever SEEN a skimmer in action? One look at the crud in the collection cup should convince you of the skimmer's worth. If you are going to add live rock, then a skimmer is going to be needed unless you can put the rock into another tank first for curing, and then add it to your tank when it's ready.
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I do know that its not the water, any good name's of skimmers I should go w/ ?
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so now that the water has cleared up, what should I do Next I got w/ the stuff a Merlin Bio Filter and a Magnum 350 Convertable Canister Filter, A Skimmer Name is Amiracle??? They r all apart and I don't know how to use them or put them back together?? Do I need them?? What needs to be in the Bio Filter and what do they need to be hooked up too??? Please Help
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, since you have them, you might as well use them. The more the better when it comes to filtration.

Did the magnum not come with directions? Putting it together can be a bit of a puzzle, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I don't think I can describe it well enough here to help you with it. The charcoal goes insdie the basket, of course, and you fill it up all the way with water before snapping the lid on it. the blue or gray plastic part goes between the basket and the lid, and if you look you'll see that it only goes on one way. The big grey rubber washer goes on top of that, down in the little indentation, so that the thing protruding from the center of the lid goes through it.

Is this stuff new or used? Are you reasonably sure that you have all the parts if it's used? Don't panic; figuring out stuff like this is just a matter of looking at what you have and seeing what fits.

Could you describe your skimmer for me? Do you perhaps have a model number? The Amiracle products have a reputation for simplicity, but that's relative. Skimmers aren't hard to assemble, but they can be tricky to adjust.

I have to admit that I don't know anything about Merlin filters. Are they a Canadian thing? There should be a little slot for a cartridge or a little basket for loose media in the main body of the thing.
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the stuff is used and I can't Find a # on the Skimmer
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and click under skimmers until you find the one you have. AMisracle only has a few skimmers on the market.

http://www.tplastech.com/amiracle/
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for everyones help I think I have a handle on how everything goes together. Now The water is clear as glass and the salt level is at 1.025-1.026 now the pH is way up there and how should I bring it down and is there something that will keep it somewhat level that I can add?? Now what is a good Live rock to start off w/ and what do I need to keep it going ???
Thanks
Troy24
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I went and got 9lbs of Rock and ouch 10.00 a pound wow just two of them so whats the next step??
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: