Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Infusoria as fry food?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)7:29    Post subject: Infusoria as fry food? Reply with quote

I have a pair of kribs that have just spawned, and in reading up on fry care I found that they will do fine on the infusoria and algae that can be found in an established tank. (EDIT: for the first couple of weeks, anyway - after that I plan to feed baby brine etc).

The tank has only been up for 3 months - there's plenty of algae to be had, but how long does it take for infusoria to populate the tank?
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds are that you won't get enough infusoria in a typical tank to feed a batch of fry.

What I do is go out to a goldfish pond which is choked with floating plants like anacharis. I then pick up several strands and dunk them repeatedly into a widemouthed jar, and I scrape them along the inside lip of the jar. This harvests aufwuchs and infusorians galore. After I have a jarful of lovely bright green muck, I collect a jarful of clear water. I then pour back and forth to mix, and then I let the jars settle for an hour or so. Then I pour off the clear water from one jar and feed some of the resulting concentrate to the fish. After that I remix the water in the jars and lett it settle again to repeat several times a day for a week. Fish growth is rapid, and after a week they can eat other stuff.

I often turn off the water pumps when feeding the greenwater, and while they're eating that I sprinkle some powdered flake food on top of the water. It will soak, but not sink. After a half-hour greenwater feeding, I restart the pumps. This makes the powdered food sink, giving the fry another feeding and getting them used to the idea of eating this food.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that lots of live plants, and a few ramshorn snails can be helpful, and a sponge filter in the fry tank also. However, it is very hard to get enough infusoria in a tank to feed a whole spawn of fry.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that lots of live plants, and a few ramshorn snails can be helpful, and a sponge filter in the fry tank also. However, it is very hard to get enough infusoria in a tank to feed a whole spawn of fry.
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I don't think there will be a ton of fry - these are young, first time parents - I can't see all the way into the PVC but the egg mass that I can see is maybe 1 cm by 1cm. And I have several community fish that will try to eat the fry if the parents arent good at guard duty. Not sure how long I can keep them in the 40 gallon before moving them to the fry tank.

I do have tons of live plants in both tanks, and more ramshorn snails than I know what to do with. I was planning to add a sponge over the intake tube before the fry become free swimming - although that won't be enough time for it to get nice and dirty for them.

So, if I do this jar method of storing infusoria etc, I would just use a really long eye dropper to get the food near the fry?
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... no.
Ideally you would remove the PVC pipe with the eggs and put it into a small hatching tank witha sponge filter. This will allow you to:

A--- save the fry from predation

B--- control the water current in the tank during feeding

C--- concentrate the food in an area near the fry.

Trying to squirt the greenwater into the fry swarm in the main tank will infuriate the parent fish and also be very inefficient. If you just HAVE to try to do it this way, then feed the parent fish with this tube several times so that they get the idea that the tube is their friend. Risky, but it can work.
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does make more sense doesn't it! Embarassed

Well, I think I missed my shot this time - the eggs were gone when I got home from work, and I don't see any wrigglers. I do have pretty hard water, so I suspect they didn't even get fertilized properly... Oh well, it will only be a matter of time before these two are at it again, and when that happens I'll move the PVC out to my 10 gallon tank, and transfer its existing inhabitants into the 40. Or maybe move the parents into the 10 and let them spawn there instead...
nukri
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again mshortri,

All these advises sound sound but I am somewhat puzzled: You say you plan to feed them baby brine shrimp (newly hatched, I assume). If so, why wait? why not start them on it right after they become free swimming (spend their egg sacks)? There is no greater gain in growth and quality than that in the first few weeks.
Krib fry are large enough to eat brine shrimp nauplii right from the start.
Cheers,
nukri
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: