Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lots of white coiled tube in/on tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soapmyster
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)23:57    Post subject: Lots of white coiled tube in/on tank Reply with quote

From what I can find out these are called Pileolaria sp. Looks like shell of a Nautilus. Its tiny feather duster with a calcareous tube. They seem to be all over the tank. I want to find out more about it..but can find anything about them anywhere online. If anyone has any more info about these little guys I would love to hear about it. ANYTHING AT ALL!!

PICTURES TAKEN FROM www.advancedaquarist.com

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiroborid worms, most likely. They come and go and are completely harmless.
soapmyster
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the reply....
I checked for Spiroborid worms on the web and there is zero results. Still would like to know more about these Pileolaria sp.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

One practical, useful thing I can tell you right off the bat is that these things are very difficult to remove from the surfaces to which they attach. They get into everything, like your impeller chambers and skimmer and hoses and such, and they can occasionally jam them. Inspect your critical surfaces regularly and keep these things scraped off of parts they can impede.
Don't panic; they are mostly harmless. Just keep them out of your pumps.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help you on links, but what would you like to know? Like most polychaete tubeworms, they're filter feeders. Given their minute size, it might be reasonable to expect that they need less sustenance than larger tube worms, thus can proliferate rapidly. You'll find them in your skimmer, sump, etc., just about any place that is submerged within your tank.
soapmyster
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get some kind of fish that will control them or eat them..? I do not want it to multiply anymore then it is right now.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scrape them off. Some Butteflies might nip the crowns off, and even get the worm out, but they won't eat the tube. So, you'll wind up having to scrape anyway, and you'll have added a delicate fish that may not even be suitable in your tank otherwise. If there's good news it's that they generally never reach "plague" proportions, since they're limited by food availability. You should see a pretty even population eventually, but all tanks take time to mature, and "blooms" of these worms is fairly common in new tanks.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: