Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Update: Hydrogen peroxide and BBA??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no other visible algae besides the bba... so yeah, that's kind of my point. I want the algae gone so it will be pristine again.

BBA is really hard to remove manually because it "infests" the leaves somehow. All of my other plants are relatively untouched. It's just my slow growing hairgrass that's getting swamped.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

ie had bba. selective pruning is necessary. you can also carefully uses a craft knife and shave it off the leaves but this is a bit difficult sometives. on tougher leaves such as anubias I found disposable razors worked OK.
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your ferts in the proper concentrations, and then add DIY CO2. The BGA will be gone by the end of the week (it doesn't like acidic water, or when the plants out-compete it for nutrients).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm

http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Cheers and good luck!

[EDIT] didn't see that you already had CO2, maybe up the CO2?!
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
by using the peroxide, you are only working for the short term as it is it would be pretty difficult to kill every single spore of the stuff. thats OK as long as you address the bigger issues regarding why it was growing in the first place.

have you tried the black out method? I would try that first because it's less invasive (and easier) and if doesn't work, then use the peroxide. keep in mind though that the black out method method is still only short term so sort out the ferts etc as well.

also make sure your photoperiod is 10 hours or less.
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bit of an update on my 5g

I spot treated the BBA on my hairgrass (that's where it was most prolific) and I used barely 2-3 mL of 3% H2O2. Then I performed a 25% waterchange and dosed about 2 mL of micros.

I'm going to reduce the macros a bit and keep my micros the same, dosing twice a week on alternate days (ie. micros on saturday, macros on sunday). I'm also going to reduce the photoperiod to about 10-11 hours and try to keep it more regular. Hopefully by killing off the BBA (we'll see by tomorrow) and changing things up a bit I can get a permanent fix!

I'll post tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback BTW.
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, there's no visible change... yet, there's also no visible growth so maybe it did kill it. The stuff is tough though, I mean physically stuff so I wouldn't expect it to just disintegrate over night.

I'm going to blast it again tonight with about 2 ml but concentrated over the worst spot. If that doesn't work then I may just trim the affected leaves and work from there.
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen Peroxide: 1
Black Beard Algae: 0

2 days later, the majority of the BBA has disintegrated off the hairgrass and it's looking good again aside from a few dead leaves. Yay!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: