Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
filters for a 55 gallon oscar tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)16:53    Post subject: filters for a 55 gallon oscar tank Reply with quote

alright I have a eheim 2215 for my 55 gallon with one 6" oscar. I also have 5 guppies in there and 2 zebra danios, 2 tiger barbs, 2 plecos one 2" and 4". now for a wile I just had my eheim going but then when I got rid of my severum (went into my dads 125) I got a aqua clear 300. for about a week it was fine but the second day it was already very dirty and I justr cleaned it. another thing my water is very cloudy. is the filter not storng enough for an oscar tank?
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you removed the eheim from the tank then you removed the majority of your beneficial bacteria colony. When you added the AC 300 with all new media you are probably having a large bacterial bloom in the water. That is why the water is cloudy,(most likely).

As for the filtration, I am assuming you removed the eheim here. I would say the AC 300 alone isn't going to cut it with and oscar and 2 plecos of any size.

Are the guppies, danios and such in there for feeders?
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the guppies and danios are there for feeding but what did you mean by taking out the eheim I never took it out Confused I'm just wondering y its so cloudy and how can I fix it Confused Confused
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you removed the eheim because you stated that the tank was appearing dirtier more quickly after the addition of the AC 300.

It may be possible that the current created by the AC is keeping waste away from the intake of the eheim. And vice-versa.

As for the cloudy water, what are your test readings? I suppose it could still be a bacteria bloom to colonize the new media in the AC.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a powerhead to keep the water moving...either a internal fluval or any of the powerheads.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for all the confusion I didn't stop running my eheim its still going and I got some stuff to clear the water(jungle lab water clear) and it didn't do anything. I did 2 doses of it and it didn't work so I bought nutrafin b clear and p clear but added the b clear at 1 20 today and I noticed a tiny change. it says it will take 24 hours to work. does this usually work?
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do water changes and notice small improvements then the water soon clouds again it is likely to be a bacterial bloom and will simply take time to clear.

I have dealt with similar problems and they are irritating indeed.

If you don't have anything in the tank that would be sensetive to algecide you could try a dose of algae fix. As the cloud could also be waterbourne algae.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does it take togo away? I think its to do with algae in the water because my aqua clear is very close to my glass lid and sometimes water goes on the lid and there was a ton of algae after I came back for the weekend. I have a thing called P clear and it says it it clears cloudy and green water caused by algae dirt or tank disturbance would that work? and I have B clear in there now but I don't what to do water changes but if I added some carbon would it go away then I could add the P clear?
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not framiliar with the products that you have. If you believe that it could be algae related you could try this.
http://cichlid-forum.com/reviews/view_product_details.php?id=864

I have had good luck with this product.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WATER IS FINALLY CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: