Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
skimmers and debris eaters!!!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke22
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)14:37    Post subject: skimmers and debris eaters!!! Reply with quote

hi there,

are there any fish/inverterbrates that are good for eating the un-eaten foods on the sand?

I would also really appreciate some advice on what are good/easy corals to start with, because I don't like killing these poor things because of my inexperience!

I also have only what I can describe as maroon/red seaweed which is growing at a massive rate is this good for the tank??

is there a skimmer that you would recommend for a 150L tank??
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red seaweed is probably slime algae, which is caused by overfeeding. Definately cut back on the amount of food you're giving your fish.
How many fish? What kind of filtration are you using now? How much water do you change, and how frequently?
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best clues to know if you're feeding too much is uneaten food left over after feeding. I would definitely cut back if you're noticing food particles left in the sand untouched by the fish.

Bristleworms are probably the best consumers of waste, including leftover food, but you should not rely on a single species alone. I would suggest maybe a detritivore kit from IPSF or IA. Other organisms that might be useful would be Nassarius snails and Blueleg Hermits.

I would address your current problems and id the algae before even considering corals. Post a pic of the algae for identification. It may prove to be a harmless macroalgae, or it could be cyano or turf or other nuisance organism. Until it's id'd positively, tho, it's not recommendable for ANY coral to be placed in the tank.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this book. Algae aproblem solver guide by julian Sprung. It has good pictures to identify all kinds of algae, cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates. Suggests herbivores and other methods to controlling algae. You should check out your water parameters If you have high nitrates it could be causing the algae problem. Also the nitrates could be harmfull to corals. Otherwise corals would be good to use up the excess nutrients and light that would cause algae blooms.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: