Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about a betta set up?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)12:01    Post subject: Question about a betta set up? Reply with quote

I know bettas aren't all that complex as far as a pet. However I do want to try and give it as close to its natual environment as possible because sitting in a small bowl all day must suck :: )

I know they live in stagnant pools of water that aren't very deep. Any suggestions as far as a set up? I don't want to do anything bigger then 12-20g. I would like to give him some plant life though, and a decent set up.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a single male, a 5 gallon has plenty of room. And they don't live thier whole lives in "tiny puddles". The rice paddies they live in contain thousands of gallons of water. You could put a couple females in, lets say, a 10 gallon, making sure they don't fight, because some females can be just as aggressive as males. Or you could set up a nice community in a 10 with a betta, 6 tetras, 3 small cories and a couple otos.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow nice I din know they were friendly with other. And I know they don't live in puddles :: ) I know they don't live in huge ponds though that are 30 feet deep etc etc. The males are agressive towards all other fish aren't they?

I would love to get a 10 gal with a few fish that would be fun.

Also what plant s will work? I know the lillies work and that the bettas nibble at the roots, but what else would work?
kelpy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normaly the males are only aggresive towards each other. Possibly they may attack other fishes with long flowing fins like say a fancy guppy because it looks like another male
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper water for the fish? Is bottled water good/bad vs tap water? I am not sure I trust the tap water.
Zodia
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male bettas are generally OK in a community tank, but they can be territorial. Be sure to add the betta last to help with the aggressiveness. Also, I have found bettas to have different personalities, so closely observe his behavior if you plan to add him to a community tank...he should settle in within a week or so. I have had single male bettas in 5 gal (US) tanks as well as in community tanks with little problems.

Regarding water, I use tap water and add Aquasafe. My city has a wonderful water treatment plant, so I am not nervous about my water. You should talk to your LFS to find out how they feel about the water conditions and they should advise you further (if they are good).
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My betta is in a heated five-gallon hex tank. I slowed down the flow of water by stuffing foam in the intake and outflow from the filter. I use tap water treated with AmQuel. As for plants, he has some anacharis, an anubias and a crypt. I tried putting in some otos but he attacked them. It's hard to say whether any given betta will get along with other fish, so I'd keep an eye on any new additions and have a backup plan.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: