Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Parrot Eggs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
my oscars
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)19:51    Post subject: Parrot Eggs Reply with quote

I have a blood parrot that laid eggs. The question is she is only 1 1'4 inch. Is it possible for a parrot of that size to lay eggs already? She has a partner in the tank too of almost the same size but I don't know if its male or female, could it be male if they take turns guarding the eggs? What color should the eggs be if unfertile and fertile be? How long would it be for the eggs to hatch? Will the parents eat the babies or eggs? oh, and will the janitor fish be a concern in the tank with them or should I take him out? Thanks. Shocked Confused
my oscars
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)22:02    Post subject: Egg problem Reply with quote

I notice after a couple of days there were white cloudy stuff around the eggs, what is that? Then after a day or two, the eggs started dissapearing, are the parrots eating them? Maybe because they where bad? Whats going on here? Question
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)8:22    Post subject: infertile parrots Reply with quote

Blood parrots are infertile. They may lay eggs but it is not likely that they will hatch. As the eggs fungus, the parents will eat them, in preparation for trying agian as they are nutritious afterall.

Blood parrots are essentially test tube babies, the mules of the aquatic world.
my oscars
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)22:08    Post subject: parrot eggs Reply with quote

So what your saying is that Parrots don't fertilize their eggs? How do they reproduce? Smile
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tend not to. They are manmade fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
my oscars
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused WOW, very interesting. How do Man Made do that? How do they do it? I didn't know this kind of fish could be manipulated like that. All I know about this fish is that they were half breed of some type of cichlids and they are injected with dye to have very brilliant colors, I didn't know that humans are the ones that could reproduce them. I want to know how. Smile
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a cross between a midas cichlid and a red devil. Since their genus name is the same, but their species name is different that is what is called a hybrid. Hybridized animals tend not to be able to reproduce on their own as their genetic make up is all jumbled. Sometimes you'll get the odd fry, but it will end up being deformed and usually dies fairely young. Very rarely will you get actual viable fry that don't need to be culled.
my oscars
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is CULLED? For example I plan to have a Parrot farm, do I need a Midas and a red devil to make parrots?.. Is it possible for an Oscar and a Parrot to mate? What will it look like? Laughing
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

culling is taking genetically inferior fish out of the gene pool. Basically, you dispose of any fish with genetic defects. Not the most touchy feely thing in the world, but it does serve a purpose in maintaining the viability of fish.
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt the cross between midas cichlids and severums? because if it was between red devils and midas' ud have some MEAN FISH!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: