Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bicolor Angel Refusing to Eat
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)19:26    Post subject: Bicolor Angel Refusing to Eat Reply with quote

I just purchased a new Bicolor Angelfish from a LFS that I really trust. They told me that it was net captured. When I bought it, it was picking at live rock. It is also picking at the live rock in my tank but is refusing to eat. When I fed flake foods, it swam towards the flakes but then refused to eat. I then put spirulina in, and it took a bite, but then spit it out. I then tried live brine shrimp, and it ate some and spat it out again. It is still picking at the live rock, and I also saw it picking at a small hermit crab. Any suggestions? It is about 3.5 inches long, fat, and is in a 55 Gallon. Help appreciated.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, sorry to hear this. These have always been hit or miss IME, you likely have one that was captured/shipped by a weak source and it's doomed, sorry to say. Be advised, even net caught specimens can receive poor handling and suffer invisible damage along the way. You could try tempting it with frresh chopped mussels, peeled raw shrimp, sponge based frozen etc., however, I can't help but ask; what was it eating in the LFS?
Ask if they will take it back, some will. Mark my words here; simply refuse to buy any fish that will not eat prepared food at the LFS. If they will not feed it at your request, let them keep it. And, if it seems reluctant to eat, or merely nibbles instead of "chowing down," you are only asking for trouble. Don't mean to lecture here; we all live and learn.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree, there first and most important rule in purchasing SW fish:

NEVER buy any fish that you do not personally see target, snatch, swallow, and keep down food items you are prepared to feed. "Picking" as substrates is not enough to be secure in the fact that a fish will eat in most cases. Be that as it may, I haven't met an Angel yet that didn't like the Formula frozen foods. There is a Centropyge formula, but it's essentially Formula Two. I'd try that. After it discovers it by picking at substrates, it should come to the realization that it comes from the turkey baster (or whatever you use to feed) and begin feeding. Unfortunately, as already stated, the guy selling you the fish is not always the best source of information. If they tell you it's been eating and it obviously hasn't, can you really trust what they say about where it was collected and/or the method used?
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've known this dealer for quite some time now (6 years) and I still trust him. I asked him to see it eat, and it did eat spirulina flakes. It was also eating sushi nori. I put some nori in and it is picking at it and eating small pieces. I think the problem that I missed was that it was eating- but not a lot. I bought it as soon as I saw it eat two small flakes. My mistake. I'm going to try to keep it for maybe a week to see if it gets any better. If not, I'll return it since the guy at the Lfs said he would give me a refund.
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other food items have you tried? Formula Two Frozen? PE Mysis? Hikari Mysis?
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the Mysis. No luck. Maybe The Formula 2 will work. Thanks
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a post the other day about this... the guy used an old trick; stick a soft glob of Formula on a small dead rock and let it dry overnight in the fridge, it should stick to the rock. His angelfish started picking/feeding off the rock.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just purchased it, sometimes it takes several days for the fish to get acclimated to their new surroundings start eating.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been eating a little bit more lately Very Happy I'm going to try that trick since my bicolor is picking at my live rock rite now so it might work! It's also picking at my feather dusters occasionally and when I put angelfish formula in, it did eat a little. This is great news. I'm going to try that trick for sure. Thank you guys soooo much.
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: