Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
biospira
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are only mildly confused, yes there are "bio" labeled products on the lfs shelves from Marineland...but this is the product in question.
http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

In an effort to help people here, it is a good idea not to make comments like this about products you have never used or know anything about. "??? Fritzyme is refrigerated bacterial culture that, IME, is far superior to comparable "bacterial culture" products, including Biospira." Not trying to flame you here, but that statement tends to make people think you know the product and have experience with it.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he didn't say Turbo Start at first, only Fritzyme. I have known Fritzyme to be worthless for over 20 years, but I haven't tried Turbo Start, nor do I plan to. I see the record has already been set straight on Bio-Spira, the stuff in the foil pouch which needs refridgeration and works better than anything else, so I guess there's nothing left for me to say.

Well, I guess I could mention Seachem's "Stability" which also contains Nitrospira. I have used this product and it works just fine, taking about a week to cycle a tank completely. For example, I took a 29 gallon tank and loaded it up with Redeye, Emperor, I. kerri, and even Rummynosed Tetras. 36 fish in all. Then I put a double dose of Stability in the tank on the first day and normal doses for the remainder of the week. On the eighth day the water started clearing up dramatically, the cycle was nearly complete, and I hadn't lost a single fish, not even the uber-fragile Rummynoses!

Bio-Spira is still the best, IMO, but Stability is a lot easier to find, and it makes a fine substitute.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see, no, I haven't used the foil wrapped Biospira. However, the study fdone at the Department of Biological Sciences at California State University doesn't change in its facts:

"The comparison studies for saltwater commercial sources of nitrifying bacteria, showed an even more dramatic difference between products. The only commercial source among the saltwater products to produce a conversion of ammonia to nitrate was Fritz-Zyme #9."

This is also the only INDEPENDENT study of its kind that I know of. If anyone has links toward independent studies that prove differently, I'd really like to see them. Until that time, I, personally, will continue to recommend the product the I know works and that has been proven to do so in a scientific study.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article, but it was done in 1993? I would be interested in seeing how the saltwater version of Bio-Spira performs. I know I am sold on the freshwater version. One of the lfs's here sells both but has no preference, but the Fritz product is cheaper.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LFS I use recommends Bio-spira for FW only and Fritzyme for SW, possibly based on the same article, I'm not sure, I never really asked them.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know why, I think.
The saltwater BioSpira production stopped for some reason, I think to make adjustments to the packing process if I heard it right. The stuff in the stores was old and not as good as it should have been, and that led to a bad reputation. That's not a problem now, though, as full production of a new, improved saltwater BioSpira is now in full swing, according to the ads which have appeared lately in the magazines.

Fritzyme #9... man that stuff is old. Unless it has changed very radically in the past two years, I still say I think it's junk. Does it still use Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter instead of Nitrospira?
In all fairness, it still always worked a little bit, but why cycle in six weeks with the wrong bacteria when you can cycle in a few days with the right ones? The end result may be the same, but sheesh!
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to buy another bottle to know exact species. Frankly, I don't use it ever, really. The only times I have was during "stalled" cycles. So little is required too, at such a high price, that I pass along any unused amount to any that might need it. FWIW, the colonies that exist in our tanks are not limited, by any means, to three genuses. In fact, there are MANY bacteria across MANY genuses responsible for nitrification (and denitrification as well, FWIW). None of them are necessarily "wrong" or "right", as long as they're doing what they need to do, long term. I haven't seen old #9 in a long time either, it's only the concentrated version, TurboStart, that I see at all. Just checked the web site. Turbo Start contains Nitrosococcus and Nitrococcus.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: