Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
biospira
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)15:11    Post subject: biospira Reply with quote

I have no Ammonia left and I have .2 nirite after 4 weeks of cycling. If I added Biospira, would it intefere with the cycling process
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has nitrIte been at 0.2? Have you verified it against another kit? If your cycle is stalled, the addition of bacterial colonies may help, but I would use Fritzyme.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fritzyme??
Whatever FOR? If he already has the good stuff, then why use junk?
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Fritzyme is refrigerated bacterial culture that, IME, is far superior to comparable "bacterial culture" products, including Biospira. Perhaps you're confusing it with "StressZyme", which I would agree, is inferior to Biospira. But personally, I consider Biospira to be almost, but not quite, as useless as other non-refrigerated cycle products. By the time you purchase such products, they are often severely depleted in what they promise.
Gunnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the time you purchase such products, they are often severely depleted in what they promise.

They are often severely depleted because they were not handled properly. Even if I could buy it locally, I would still order my bio spira from The Fish Store because I know it is handled properly. Fritzyme may be a great bacteria accelerator product, but it is not the same thing as bio spira. Bio spira has cycled 3 of my tanks in emergency situations and did it within 24 hours. I have never known any other product that has done that.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDodds is that Fritzyme called Fritzyme Turbo Start? If so I havent personally used it but have heard quite a few accounts of how it does work just like biospira. It also comes in different SW and FW formulas which when looking at these is important since different nitrifers are necessary with the salinity increase. There is also a 3rd product called BioMax Fresh that I believe Huntress has used. While BioSpira is the most common, and there are snake oils out there, there are also some legitimate products Wink
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been at .2 for at least 2 weeks. Yes I Have compared it to another kit.
Would StressZyme be alright Only because I am at the end of the cycle?
or should I use Biospira or Fritzyme
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe it's called Turbo Start. An assay comparing it to BioSpira showed more variety of live species and more live cells than BioSpira. If I can find the link to the assay, I'll post it. Some important differences, tho. Biospira has no expiration and is stored unrefrigerated. Fritzyme cultures DO expire and MUST be refrigerated.

FWIW, these products DO NOT cycle tanks. You need a NUTRIENT LOAD to accomplish that. Simply adding bacterial culture is NOT sufficient to produce an ammonia and nitrIte load that would simulate the introduction of fish.

FM: sounds like a stalled cycle to me. This happens occassionally since ammonia is toxic to nitrIte processing bacteria and can kill off those bacteria completely, or cause extinction of most species. You usually DON'T have to spend a whole lot on a product like Fritzyme. Sometimes simply adding some established Live ROck is sufficient to reintroduce the bacteria responsible for processing NitrIte.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDodds wrote:
Biospira has no expiration and is stored unrefrigerated. Fritzyme cultures DO expire and MUST be refrigerated.

Bio-Spira MUST be refridgerated just as Turbo Start. If you bought some un-refridgerated it was already dead and would not work. I have used Bio-Spira 3 times with complete success each time, in freshwater, I have not used the saltwater version. It will not cycle the tank instantly, you must have a bio-load for the product to work.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Well, here's the link: http://bioconlabs.com/bacteval.html

FWIW, Biospira is the white bottle from Marine Labs, right? Maybe I'm confusing it with something else with regards to storage, I rarely peruse those shelves at my LFS.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: