Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Problems, Problems, Problems!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosemarie
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)14:11    Post subject: Problems, Problems, Problems! Reply with quote

Fighting Bacterial Columnaris. (Treating with PimaFix and MetaFix)

Fighting Black Beard algae. (Tried chinese algae eater...beat up my guppies.)

Water keeps turning acid. (Did a 25% water change in the afternoon...tested water and acid test came out very high...bright yellow).

Thinking about replacing my 10 gallon tank, (after the Columnaris is gone...or all fish are gone...sigh) the rocks, tossing out the live Black Beard algae covered plants and starting over. Does this sound like a good idea? Getting sick of trying to solve problems with no luck. The 10 gallon has been set up forever....and the gravels is years old.

The 5 gallon tank seems OK. (Just set that up about 3 weeks ago) Had/has columnaris but otherwise fine. This one has just plastic plants and has my 3 little fry and a mom in it.

Ideas on these subject would be greatly appreciated, since I am getting real discouraged with my 10 gallon tank being a total disaster no matter what I do. Sad
Deanne
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be praying for you. We have two 55 gallon tanks. Unfortunately, I just lost my entire community about a week ago to columarius. We tried to treat with everything we could think of and failed. BE CAREFUL!!! Columarius is apparrently highly transmittable by people, and you could accidentally transmit it to your other tank if your not careful. We didn't figure out what it was at first, and before we knew it both tanks had it. Our other tank has it too, but we are still trying to fight it and save our fish. We have been fighting this stuff for over two months now. It picked off my tank one fish at a time. Our labryth fish and livebearers seem the most suseptable, but the livebearers seem to live longer with it. Most of them developed Taberlosis before they died, even with multiple, continious treatments. It was horrible.

I put a gallon of bleach into the 55 gallon that lost everyone and left it for 2 days before I completely drained and rinsed it out with all equipment and decorations. I have set the tank back up with double the amount of declorinator (just to make sure I got it all), but I have not been brave enough to put more fish in yet. I intend to do a 50% water change again before I put anyone in. Just to be on the safe side.

If you have any luck surviving this stuff, please let me know how you did it. We have had tanks of one size or another for over a year now. We don't claim to know everything, and we like to think that we have learned something about caring for our fish babies, but this has been totally devistating. It will be even more devistating if we lose our other tank with angels and plecos in it that we've been raising since we started this hobby.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never dealt with columnaris, but I think I can help with the water turning acid on you often.

First, a couple of questions-

How long has the tank been setup?
What are your water parameters?
What fish do you have and how many?
Rosemarie
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)11:23    Post subject: My experience with Columnaris Reply with quote

I lost most of my fish...trying everying. But some are alive and doing good. (I think). I saved 3 guppy fry who were born in the middle of this disaster. They are swimming around happy and growing.

In the 5 gallon tank (which was a kinda new set up) I tried PimaFix and Metafix. It seemed to work.

In the 10 gallon tank...Macracyn and Macracyn 2 did not work. Tetracycline did not work. However, Nala-gram seems to have worked. (Still got 1 pair left and doing well) HOWEVER, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO LONGER MAKES Nala-gram! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have had a fish tank for over 20 years...no problems. UNTIL I started the guppy thing! sigh

Think that will also help. Keep the water and tank very clean. Keep pH, nitrite, etc all perfect. Do water changes faithfully every week. What I noticed was that if I kept the temp at about 76 degrees the columnaris did not spread as fast.

Here is a URL that might help make sense of this evil disease!

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

And will I go out and buy more guppies and try again? YOU BET I WILL! This time with "alittle" more knowledge!
Rosemarie
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)11:28    Post subject: OOPS! Forgot Something! Reply with quote

Add aquarium salt to your tank....1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. (not sure if you knew this...but decided to mention it)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: