Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
figure 8 puffer fish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowd_dreamr
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)17:54    Post subject: figure 8 puffer fish Reply with quote

I am looking into getting a figure eight puffer fish. we just got some at work and they are so cute.. I did some research and I know that they are very agressive.... do you think that one would be OK in a ten gallon aquarium alone??

along with a lot of plant life ect..

most people say that they do better in fresh water then brackish or salt.... what are everyones opinions here???

thanks
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)23:03    Post subject: Re: figure 8 puffer fish Reply with quote

shadowd_dreamr wrote:
I am looking into getting a figure eight puffer fish. we just got some at work and they are so cute.. I did some research and I know that they are very agressive.... do you think that one would be OK in a ten gallon aquarium alone??

along with a lot of plant life ect..

most people say that they do better in fresh water then brackish or salt.... what are everyones opinions here???

thanks

A 10 gallon is too small

They need brackish water, it's a misconception that they can be kept healthily in freshwater most likely because people want to believe that so that it's easier to keep them.

If you want a 10 gallon puffer and want something freshwater, you should look into dwarf puffers (also called pea puffers). They only grow to 2 inches and you could keep probably three in that ten gallon, and because it is freshwater and not brackish you could also keep plants with them.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a couple of Ottos too!!! Thats what I'm setting up at the moment, 10G planted with 3 dwarfs and 2 Ottos!!! Very Happy
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want puffers, and don't dwarfs, go with irrubescos, they are freshwater and (depending on the indivudual specimens) can be kept with evebn cards and harleys. the irrubesco is much more peaceful than the lorteti, and they sometimes get confused (both being labelled as being red eye puffers) these are true freshwater puffers, unless you have the time and space to keep a fahaka... Rolling Eyes
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

another is the south american puffer they are very peacefull, and only grow to about 3" I kept one in a community aquarium but they do need their teeth trimming frequently!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: