Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
HELP! pH Problem
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowelite951
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)19:51    Post subject: HELP! pH Problem Reply with quote

Help really needed! For the past few months my 55 gallon tank has a 7.9-8.2 pH reading. I have spent over $80 on quality buffers to lower my pH. I have cleaned every nook and crany of my tank and have made 80% water changes once a week. I have lost many of my favorite angels and tetras. Of the many years my family and I have been through fish keeping, this has never happened.

Please post anything that could help...we are losing all hope. Sad
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you gave a list of products that you used, then we could get a better idea how to help. I know that my water is particularly hard and I'm working on getting it closer to 7. I'm using Aquarium Pharmeceuticals Inc. pH down which I got at Petsmart. It's helping versus the pH 7.0 that I was using before.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, before we get into how to fix the problem, let's investigate the problem itself...

What are the gh and KH of your tanks water? What about your tap water? It is possible that something in your tank might be causing the problem, not your water.

As far as the tank is concerened, what type of gravel and decoration do you have? If you have any rocks, do you know what kind they are?

Finally, what are the other parameters in your tank?

(Also, I would not use any products that lower your pH. Most contain phosphates, which could cause water quality problems and generally don't last long enough to make them worth their cost. There are safe and better ways to lower your pH without them.)
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH down doesn't work as well as you would think. It is better to try and find out why your pH is so high. Test the water your putting in the tank straight out of the tap or wherever you get it from, and Search posts on pH it is not an uncommon issue. One of the most common suggestions I see if your tap water is the cause is to try adding a bottel of water( like the kind you buy at the store) Using chemicals just causes issues and cost money.
TRY to find the Source of the issue. Did you add anything new to the tank around the time this started ect...

I am not trying to sound rude I'm sorry if I came across that way Wink but Please check other posts and forums this issue is everwhere. good luck and good fishkeeping.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)23:56    Post subject: pH problem Reply with quote

I would look at the substrate and rocks for lime or sea shells. Test your rocks with acid for bubbling to tell if you have lime. Lime and sea shells raise your pH. Once you know the rocks and substrate are not the cause of the pH rise. I would lower my hardness to 7 and put peat in to a stocking in your filter medium and this keeps your pH down. Do not add to much peat and try handful or experiment the amount you need.

from Josh
Shadowelite951
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="benedictj"]As far as the tank is concerened, what type of gravel and decoration do you have? If you have any rocks, do you know what kind they are?
quote]

I do have rocks in my tank(I got to provide hiding places for my rainbow shark)...as for the substrate, I changed it about three weeks ago (I noticed it had sea shells in it.) I'll see if the rocks are the cause of the problem. Thank you for your posts. Very Happy
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure- a good way to isolate the problem would also be to take a sample of tap water, leave it out overnight, and test its pH. If the pH of the tank is higher then the pH of the tap water, it is almost assuredly the rocks.
Slangl6238
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find the cause of the high pH, you may want to keep it at that pH. What I have learned is that most fish can live in almost any pH as long as it is consistant. They say the trouble starts when you try using chemicals to raise or lower pH. Someone said they breed angels in a pH of 8.2 He just says that a steady pH usually is not a problem.
I used to use pH up and the pH would rise and a couple of days later it was back down. At that time I started getting algae and fish deaths. So after I read posts from this forum, they told me to stop and lest the fish get accustomed to my pH. So I did, and now they are doing great.

Steve
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: