Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Detailed set up for Piranha (nattereri, cariba,piraya)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaejae
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)21:04    Post subject: Detailed set up for Piranha (nattereri, cariba,piraya) Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am new to the forum and would like some advice on the requirements neccessary for keeping a small shoal (4 to 6) of any of the above species. I haven't purchased anything yet but am aware that this needs to be well thought out and planned. After some research it seems that the caribe and nattereri reach a maximum of about 35 cm in length. The piraya can get up to about 60cm. I have checked around in Seoul and it seems the only species commonly stocked is natterei so I will probably focus on keeping these.
I have my eye on a beautiful glass aquarium mounted on a gorgeous walnut cabinet. The dimensions are W900 D350 H530. If I am correct this is about 190 liters or about 50 gallons. Would this be sufficient for 4-6 adult natterei? I am also thinking about going with with an Eheim Classic 2213 plus a AquaClear Power Head 201.
I have no wish to keep them with any other species (would rather set up another aquarium) and would like to make sure that this would be OK for 4 to 6 natterei. As some may know Seoul is a very expensive city property wise and my wife and I live in a small aprartment. I couldn't actually get anything bigger cause our place is too small.
Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated? I am in no rush and am only planning on setting up the aquarium towards the end of the year so I can keep my options open.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's 167 liters, but either way it would be way too small to raise 4-6 nattereri. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than 400 liters. There are smaller species of piranhas that would be suitable for that size tank though, the issue is whether you can find them for sale where you live...

Also, if you want the looks of piranhas without the feeding habit, consider the smaller pacu's commonly known as Silver Dollars - Metynnis spp. and Mylossoma spp.. Most of them stay around 15-20 cm...
jaejae
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcos,

Yes, now that I am thinking about it you are quite right. I am not sure about the nattereri with regard to shoaling but I wonder if it would be possible to keep them individually or in pairs. Having kept cichlids but being unable to keep piranha in South Africa due to the conservation laws, I have now firmly decided to fulfill a life long desire to keep piranha as they are legally sold here in Seoul. Marcos, what do you think about the possibility of having a pair in a 250 liter with the same filtration system that I mentioned previously? I have heard that they are messy fish and that a good filtration system is a must. I Also like the idea of the aquaclear powerhead as I have also heard that at times they can be very passive and I thought the powerhead would keep them moving more.

If you strongly suggest a bigger tank even for a pair, then I will have to reconsider piranhas for the time being as much as it would dissapoint me.

Also can you suggest any smaller species that may suit my requirements? I will start to look around and see if there is any possibility of acquiring these in Seoul. I have heard that certain species of the serrasalmus genus are even more dynamic and agressive but are smaller than the nattereri.

Thanks for your advice.
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to fishpost.com/piranha.html for a breakdown of all the many species and their sizes/requirements.Some species have been re-categorized.You may want to come over to piranhafury.com for answers from experienced owners.Pygocentrus natteri are not as aggressive as the pygo caribe or serrasalmus medinai,which should not be shoaled.All are commonly called reds.I would not recommend more than a pair of pygo natteri in a 50 gallon.When you limit the size of their surroundings,not only are you increasing the bio-load but also the level of their aggressiveness.Whitefish is the best food to be fed.Piranhas are generally skitish.Be sure to have plants and places for them to hide. And for filtration,I would have two cannisters,one at each end.I use the Jebo 828 which would give you excellent filtration at each end.Or maybe the Rena filstar.
jaejae
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)0:28    Post subject: Thanks for the advice Reply with quote

Piranha,

thanks for the advice, I am still deciding on wether to go for a pair of RBPs or just a single rhom. I have also checked out the piranha fury site and have already posted there, it's a great site! I will also take a look out for the Jebo filter but I must admit that I have used eheim before (albeit 10 years ago) and was really happy with them.

Jason

PS what about a single RBP is it possible???
rhoms seem hard to come by in Seoul!
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

No keeping a sinle RBP is usually not a good idea and the fish will be very scared. On the other hand look at this thread- http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php?showtopic=82600 . the fish seems to be thriving on its own only because it can't be kept with others though! If you want to keep a P but havent got the room for a rhom I would suggest keeping a Spilopleura. They are commonly kept on their own and are fine in these conditions and theres tons of info of these on the net, I havent kept them myself so I can't exactly give advice on them.
piranha
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serrasalmus Medinai(often mislabeled and sold as spilopleura) must be kept alone in captivity or they will kill each other.They can be identified by the black humeral spot behind the gill ,just like the pygo notatus(caribe),except that they have a concave head that becomes more pronounced with age.I have kept one alone successfully.I have also kept alone a pygo ternetzi(gold piranha) also identified by the black humeral spot.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a school of exodons...the bucktooth tetras? cool little fish Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: