Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
breeding kribs
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)17:03    Post subject: breeding kribs Reply with quote

I have a female krib and want to breed it. I got it as a youngster and have grown it to maturity, and I am prepared to get it a mate as soon I have a few questions answered. When I put the male in the tank how long do you think it will take for them to start the breeding process? Also if or when they do breed I know they will be protective, but to what extent, would they be OK in a community tank or should I breed them in a seperate tank? If yes they can breed in a community tank then will there be enough parental guardianship/aggression that they will or could seriously harm my other fish? Further more if I do breed them in a seperate tank what is the minumum tank size?

Thanks a lot!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never kept kribs, you could read here, http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_krib.php

I have also read that when adding a male to a tank with an established female ( especially since yours is mature ) that the male will need to be mature also and of equal size or bigger to survive the females aggression.

When they prepare to spawn kribs will fiercly defend their territory. If the tank isn't big enough for other fish to stay away they may suffer a beating.

Again this is just info I have gathered throught curious reading, not from personal experience.

Good luck!
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a female that was about an inch and a half long, and last week I added a male of the same size. It was love at first sight. They started courtship the very next day (thursday). That night I went out and got them a piece of PVC to serve as their cave, and they took to it within HOURS. Shocked When I got home from work on Friday, they were spawning. Shocked They are are taking turns fanning the eggs right now. So far they are not being super-protective of their cave, but I expect that to change once the eggs hatch out. They are in a 40 gallon aquascaped tank with plenty of live plants and driftwood, and various community fish.

Another great resource for krib information is, well, thekrib.com.
http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher.html
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for your replies, I have a broken flower pot to serve as there cave, but I was wandering, mshortri are you going to remove your fish so that your kribs don't bother them or do you think they will be OK, also is your tank fairly populated?

I only ask because I would like to breed my kribs with out having to remove the other fish, and my tank is fairly populated.

mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I wasn't expecting them to breed immediately like they did... the horny little devils took me by surprise. Next time they look ready to breed, I will move the kribs themselves off to my smaller tank, and put that tank's inhabitants into the larger. That way, once the fry get big enough, I can move the parents out and not have to worry about trying to catch and move fry.

An update on our current situation:
When I got home last night I noticed that both parents were out and about, and I wasn't able to see the eggs in the PVC. I assumed they either got fungus or were eaten... well today I went to rearrange the tank and move the pvc, and to my surprise, out spilled several dozen brand new wrigglers! I feel terrible - many of them were eaten before mom could round them up and get them back into the cave. BUT, on the bright side, she has been a much more vigilant mom since the trauma. she has staked out about 5" on all sides of the pvc, but in a 40 gallon tank that leaves plenty of room for everyone else. So far so good. If the mom gets too aggressive, I'll have to move her out and let this batch go. But from what I've read, once you have a breeding pair, you can pretty much count on them to breed like clockwork. So I'll try not to take it too hard if we lose this first spawn.
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mshorti, thank you for your reply, I have decided to let them breed in my community 55 gal I will pm you if I get a successful spawn. Exclamation

Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: