Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sand and Algae Probs.....
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke22
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)16:22    Post subject: Sand and Algae Probs..... Reply with quote

hi there, sorry to bother you lot but I am having some difficulties with my tank that I'm hoping you may be able to help with???

I have currently got an 150L tank with an Eheim canister filter ( no skimmer ), two 30" ocean sun 100,00k 12 watts high intensity lights, and one 30" ocean sun actinic light with 7 peices of live rock, 2 clowns and two dominoe damsels (who are bullying the clowns)and two shrimps. My tank has been set up for about 7 months with 1 death of a yellow tang Crying or Very sad ! my questions are: do I have a good enough set up?? Because I have got green algae growing quite thick on the rocks and also a red/brown covering on my lovely white sand.

recently I have only been able to do water changes every 3-4 weeks as I am moving soon, (any tips on moving a tank would be welcome as well). I have tried asking local fish stockists but it seems as though they just want to make money off me and couldnt really care less.

Also I have read that lots of people use additives for their tank, so any ideas on needed/useful additives to use?

I also had two pieces of coral - one medusa which has now died, and a few mushrooms which have fallen off and died!!

I did revision before I set up this tank, but obviously the website I used hasn't been very informative after reading the "starting up" forum and various posts on this site. any advice on the above subjects would be most welcome as I am moving house the middle of next month and want to sort these problems out as I love marine fish and I am going to be able to give it lots more attention once I have moved in.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have enough light for most corals, you're running less than 1 watt per gallon, and most corals need 3+ watts per gallon.
What is the pH of your water? dKH? Calcium level?

The red/brown could be slime algae, which is caused by over feeding.

How big are your water changes? 3-4 weeks should be OK, as long as you're not overfeeding. I'd look at changing around 25% of the water when you do your changes and cut back on the food.

Do the clowns have somewhere to hide?
luke22
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what my pH/calcium levels are, the red/brown is on the sand and it being uneaten food makes sense I suppose.

I do about 20% every four weeks, but I'm not adding any addatives (should I be?).

I have lots of rock so the clowns have many holes to hide in , but they tend to just huddle together in the top right hand corner being nipped every now and again.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red slime also likes low light and dirty water.
Once you clean things up, get brighter lights, and do more water changes, the red slime should eventually go away. It mostly grows when the stuff you WANT to grow can't grow, and it dies back when the conditions are good for corals and green macroalgae. ( The filamentous green algae you have falls into the same category as the red ) These changes should also help with your corals.

Additives:
Calcium and trace element supplements will be needed to keep your corals going. I'm not sure what is available in your country, but your stockist should be able to help you. If you don't trust them, then have a look around to see what is available, tell us about it, and we can help you sort through what you need and don't need.

A skimmer would also go a long way toward improving the conditions in your tank.

Moving, eh? At least this gives you a good opportunity to scoop out all that red slime. Try to get rid of every last bit of it to keep it from getting to good a toehold when the tank is restarted.
If you want to save some water in jugs, that would be fine. Just shut everything down and siphon the water out into the jugs without stirring up the muck on the bottom of the tank. Save only the best water and discard the rest. Clean the sand, saving only the good stuff while discarding the red slime contaminated stuff.

Wipe the rocks clean of offending algae as well, and then wrap them in newspaper soaked with your clean tankwater. Pack them up in boxes after they are wrapped, and they will be easily transported without dieoff.

The fish can be transported in buckets or in fish bags.
By the way, those cute little Domino Damsels will eventually grow to be as big as your hand, and they will get meaner and uglier every step of the way. This might be a good time to try to get rid of them. Just don't dump them in the sea where they'll wreak havoc.
luke22
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is really good advice from both of you, thanks a lot.

are there any fish/inverterbrates that are good for eating the un-eaten foods on the sand?

I would also really appreciate some advice on what are good/easy corals to start with, because I don't like killing these poor things because of my inexperience!

I also have only what I can describe as maroon/red seaweed which is growing at a massive rate is this good for the tank??

is there a skimmer that you would recommend for a 150L tank??
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: