Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
big surprise problem
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)14:36    Post subject: big surprise problem Reply with quote

I have a 30g tank stocked with 2 ruykin, 1 pleco, white clouds,and 2 blood fins. this morning I noticed one white cloud in a dying state (floating to the top and sinking) and I was like "OK I will wait for it to die, it may live" Then not to long ago all the white clouds where at top back left and I still can't find the bloodfins.. So I dtook out the pleco and goldfish and now only one fish is at the top and the others are hidding on the bottom... questions?

oh and the tank has been fish cycled and set up for 2 months.. not sure on the parameters though
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the goldfish are in a bucket with a pleco now and safe.. the other fish are still in the 30g though I can't find them.. I'm going to reset the tank .. recycle it and what not...
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, which fish did you cycle the tank with?
If you're not sure of your parameters, it may be premature to recycle the tank. Take your water up to the petstore and ask them to test it. It could just need a waterchange (when's the last time you did one?) or something very simple. I would try and find out everything I have on this setup before doing anything, and in the least, you'll have a better idea how to avoid this problem in the future.
Fishies4Carole
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Goldfish are suppose to be mixed with community fish. Confused
At least, that's what I've heard.

You might consider buying a water testing kit ~ mine cost between $20-25 and will last almost a year, considering how often you test your water. I'm a fanatic about testing mine, so I've used probably more than the average person here. Very Happy You'll use more of the ammonia and nitrite solutions, probably needing to buy more every six months. Where I live we have VERY hard water, so I have to keep my pH checked definetly weekly, and use a pH reducer to maintain my 7.4 - 7.6 in my community tank (our water registers at 8.4 ~ great for Cichlids Smile )

Just get in the habit of ~

** Doing WEEKLY water changes, 20-30%
** Test water WEEKLY (you never know what might be happening in the tank, otherwise)
** Don't over feed ~ no more than what they can eat in a few minutes.

Study what fish are compatible with each other, along with their habitat. Check out the Gallery here, too, for more info on each fish. Smile

Good Luck with your fishies Smile
goldfish125girl
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch goldfish with smaller fish. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth. That amy be what happened to the other fish. Goldfish do not mix well with other fish since they are so dirty. Most fish can not handle the amazing amount of amonia goldfish produce. Weekly 30%water changes help, but are sometimes not enough.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: