Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
raising fish prices to lower abuse of fish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)20:43    Post subject: raising fish prices to lower abuse of fish? Reply with quote

With all the discussion about zebra plecos and other rarer fish I think this is a time to bring up something I've been pondering...If the prices of fish were raised do you think that they would be treated better and not be seen as a disposable pet? if there was a way to balance out keeping fish at a reasonable cost yet not dirt cheap I think this could possibly solve some problems...I think higher costs will also limit a lot of the impulse buys because people will see their fish as an investment instead of an ornament.

just my 2 cents...opinions?
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, some drugs are expensive and that doesn't keep some people from still abusing them...

I think that expensive fish today are just the cooler fish that are rarer owned by people who know they can make more money off them so they sell them for more type thing...

I think no matter the price of dogs/cats/fish/reptiles/birds there will be people who dedicate their lives to the animal's well being and others who will spend money and still keep the animal in the wrong conditions because its just cool to have that particular animal...

just my opinion,

mobern
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

@-McP, I've also pondered this very question and do believe that market forces could prevent a lot of unnecessary impulse buys and consequent ill fish health and/or premature fish deaths. Imagine if bala sharks cost fifty dollars each instead of $2.99? Unfortunately, the very same market forces that could make what you and I are proposing a reality also preys upon the widespread ignorance regarding tankbusters and other fish that may not be appropriate for those not willing to educate themselves on their proper keeping. Thus, the sale of $2.99 bala sharks goes on because they keep on selling, and as much as we'd like for the sellers to have more scruples about their living merchandise, the more practical point of attack is to address the lack of education amongst all the casual buyers in the aquarium market. Unfortunately, a good proportion of those who are ignorant about these things are willfully so.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Tula, I don't think I've ever seen you type like a dreamer before!
If $50 bucks on a Bala Shark would slow purchases, why does a $50 price tag on Discus cause the opposite effect?

Heck, even a $800 price tag on cross breed dogs doesn't slow people down at the LPS!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys don't think that if common dogs sold for as cheap as neon tetras that there would be more problems with people just picking up a dog here or there on a whim? If those cross bred dogs were 8 dollars instead of 8 hundred id bet that a lot more of them would be going out the door. while there will still be people that will abuse fish, and knowledge is more important than price paid I still think that if a goldfish wasnt dirt cheap it would probably stop some of them from ending up in those terrible bowls. sorry for suggesting an overly utopian concept...it was just a thought Wink
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought that some of the prices were a bit on the cheap side, balas, especially. I think that's one that could due to be raised in cost. But others, like schooling fish would be way too expensive for those of us who don't have a lot to spend on our hobby but educate ourselves to do it as best and cost effectively as we can. If what you proposed came true, I'd have to turn in my tanks right now because I only get about 5$/week to spend on them as it is - for plants, lighting, food, medication, filter media, etc. As it is, I have a change bottle on my dresser which over the course of a month has nearly enough to buy the school of rasboras I plan to get once the ropefish goes to his new lfs home.
And as for those who are ignorant "choosing to be"... I don't think that anyone chooses to be ignorant. I'll admit I didn't know a whole lot about fish when I got my first tank, or second, or third. I only followed the advice of the lfs, and THOUGHT I knew what I was doing. What need was there to do a load of research when the guy behind the counter just told me everything he said I needed to know? This isn't intentional ignorance, it's misinformation.
That's not to say that there aren't people who do things when they should know better. But make no mistake, they know better. It's not ignorance, it's callousness.
Anyway...
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey @-McP,

I agree that increasing the price of fish would lead to a decrease in abuse and impulse buys. However, I believe it would have a very negative effect on the hobby. I mean, I got into this hobby as a kid. Yeah I killed my fair share of silver dollars, and I'm sorry for that, but now I know better. If a silver dollar had cost $50 I never would have gotten any and those ones at the LFS would have gone on to live much longer. However, I would not still be in the hobby taking proper care of the fish that I have grown to love. It's one thing to raise prices to keep people from abusing fish but at the same time it is turning future fish KEEPERS away from the hobby. A better altenative would be education at the store level. Provide all workers with accurate information so they can properly educate customers. It may be a long shot but it would keep the hobby open to all who wish to enter it.

Doosharm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

@-McP wrote:
you guys don't think that if common dogs sold for as cheap as neon tetras that there would be more problems with people just picking up a dog here or there on a whim?
Shocked I never thought of it like that... you may be right. I may be giving humanity too much credit again... $8 dogs might become a disposable just as easily as a goldfish...

With Discus, I see a shipment of like 20 come in and immediately people start buying them in 1s 2s and 3s. How many of them have a cycled 75g with 3 Discus waiting for these 3? Laughing These things go for $60 bucks in the LFS... yet they sell faster than cardinal tetras...
oh well....
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher Prices Shocked- I think we can all agree that this hobby is expensive enough for most of the folks who have contributed here (a lot of you more so than myself). Laughing

I have often wondered what the economic viability of a shop that handed out responsible advice would be. You have to figure that, while they might not make as much money short term, that longer term they would make up for it by generating continued interest. What if they sold cycled gravel and filter media, and also included documentation on proper care? You hear so much in the business world about sustained growth, isn't it possible to encourage this by increasing the success of first time keepers?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lfs I go to actually will give you the much coveted biofilm. they also have prices that arent expensive...but arent cheap either. If you talk to some of the workers or a manager and they approve of your setup they actually readily give out discounts to make it more affordable. when it comes to the schooling species you get a discount the more you buy but at the same time they are responsible about selling suitable numbers for a tank. I know the head of fish there really doesn't like dealing with returns of dead fish so he would rather sell a few less or take the time to educate someone who inquires about the higher prices. I know this probably isnt the norm out there but I think that it will have to be a joint effort between responsible fish KEEPERS and responsible LFS's. again maybe I'm going nuts from studying for finals and dreaming of a perfect world...who knows.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: