Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
(clown) fish only tank - filtration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a varying thought on turnover rate through the sump or fuge. I tried the high volume, high turnover rate, 600 gph in my 58, what I noticed was a lot of noise, the skimmer didn't work as well and a lot of tweaking to keep the overflow from flushing. Following the advice of some fellow reefers, I changed the pump back to one that gives me about 200 gph through the system. What did I discover? The skimmer works better, there is no noise, in fact the tank is almost silent now, and the overflow no longer has the flushing effect. I use powerheads for flow in the tank, and am building a closed loop with a scwd to replace the powerheads.

The reasoning, a lower flow allows the skimmer more contact time with the surface skimmed water, which has the most nasties in it, instead of mixing it back into the water column. It has worked, and worked well. I will continue to use a lower turnover rate, it is much less of a hassle and my water parameters have improved. Some may not agree with this, but I tend to stay with what is working and not try to have the most horsepower in my sump.

A 600 gph overflow will have issues trying to run it at 600 gph. Any air bubbles or slowing of the flow by algae can cause the tank to overflow as the pump will be putting in more water than the overflow can take out. I have been there, it wasn't pretty.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think a 600gph overflow running w/ a 500gph pump would be too much?
freya
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.. Smile) here I am.. Smile)
I was reading around net about FO tanks.. a I found in a couple places this sistem..;
1x Ehiem 2228 with active carbon and micron sponge
1x Ehiem 2228 with bio balls and micron sponge
1x hang on venturi skimmer - 200 gal/hour

the problem is that I can't have (read: find) live rock / sand form my tank so I must make a bio filtration in some other way.. are bio balls enough? how much?
and can you pls tell me how to beat NO2, NO3 and amoniac in my tank? is there any filter media that I can put in Ehiem?

tnx!
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Eheim's are an option my friend, they do make a bio media.
Lots of options here; IMO you can also go with a good skimmer/wet dry trickle filter, or bio wheel hang on units, or for a really simple/economical solution you can get an undergravel with two or three powerheads. Contrary to a previous post, I have not used the UG with sand, just old fashioned crushed coral gravel. If you cannot get cruushed coral in Croatia, you can use crushed oyster shell available at most feed stores (called pullet, for chicken feed) This is not a perfect solution, but I have used the UG in the past, it will work for you and seeding the wheel/trickle media or gravel with sand or gravel from a healthy established marine tank will take care of the ammonia problem but it takes time, and you really need to read/understand the basics of marine husbandry before you start. May I suggest "CONSCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST" by Fenner, good book for you, it's harder to get a complete picture from forums. Keep reading/planning and you will have great success.
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi F.B.,
Sorry, my mistake. I was just directing her to your system and didn't take the time to be specific about the substrate.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that the next thing to do would be to ask Freya just what she wants to keep in this tank. An undergravel filter with a simple crushed coral bottom would work fine for a purely fish-only tank under a light bioload. However, we don't know a few things, such as:

1--- Does this Croatian understand all those acronyms that villiageidiot flinged at her?

2--- What types of equipment are even available in her country?

3--- How many fish does she want, and of what species?

Once we know these things, we can better determine what would work best for her.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, her original post outlines her bio plan pretty well.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. All it says is some clownfish. Nothing else.

By the way, I somehow missed the whole of page two in this thread when I read it the first time, so when I posted it was without the knowledge of what had been said on page two, which still doesn't say how many clowns and which species.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old salt has a very good point. general rule of thumb is 1 clownfish per tank unless the clowns are both jeuvinilles or pairs(jeuvinilles will become a pair) except for very large systems. 100 gallons of water is a lot of room for just clownfish. maybe a 30-40 gallon tank would be better for what you want to do and because you seem to want cheap/easy you will not need to spend as much on filtration and then can invest in a better skimmer which is a must for any begginer marine aquarium keeper.

my 2 cents

andrew
2 winged demons
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yep, good points here. unfortunately... I think Freya flew the coop.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: