Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
lighting a 15 tall for plants
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)14:41    Post subject: lighting a 15 tall for plants Reply with quote

what is better for plant growth for a 15 gallon tall?

1 florescent 15 watt Aqua-Glo bulb or 2-15 watt incandescent bulbs?

another poster said that incandescent bulbs are no good for plant growth, but I'm concerned about propper wattage to grow live plants in a 15 gallon tall

what are screw in florescent bulbs are are they better than a tube florescent and incandescent?

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding is that you could have as higher wattage of incandesants as you want but your plants still won't grow because the wavelengths that are required for plant growth are not present. flouro bulbs have a lot broader light wavelength and so will be better for growing plants.

screw in flouro bulbs, are flourescent tubes coiled around on each other to form a shape like a traditional incandesent light globe on top of a base that houses a disposable ballast.

screw in flouro bulbs would be better for your plants than incandesent but not as good as straight flouro tubes. this is because less of the light from these is lost to restrike, and therefor, give you more light per watt.

if you just want to grow higrophilia, anubias, java moss, etc 15 watts would be OK I think. if you want to grow anything more exotic, maybe look at retofitting the hood with a second 15 watt if possible.
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -

So I was bored in class today so I started drawing and planning my new tanks.

my 15 gallon tall

Filtration
penguin 100 or 125 Biowheel

Substrate
1 1/2 inch sand bottom with black gravel mixed in to give it a different appearance.

Decor
one piece of tall branchy looking driftwood
a DIY cave made out of Flat round "river" rocks for aquariums

Flora
I plan for the front 2-3 inches to be only sand
the middle 4 inches will host Java moss
and the background will be Java ferns

Fauna
1 - Male Red Combtail betta
9 - Neon / Cardinal / black neon tetra
3 - Oto cat
4 - Panda Cory

Unfortunately the tank will only have 1 WPG as I am unable to increase the WPG with out spending a ton of money that is why I am planning on the low light plants.

what kind of florescent bulb should I use? also will I need any Co2 or fertalizer.

benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ray,

couple of thoughts-

First, don't bother with the CO2 and ferts. You probably won't have enough light to have uptake of either beyond what your tank can naturally supply. Excel might be a worthy consideration, but even then, if you do dose any ferts it will be very light and sporadic.

As far as substrate goes, you might want to do a bit of reconsidering. Sand is definitely good, but you should probably layer the bottom of it with either laterite or flourite. Even without the fert process, you can still reap some benefits from having either of those substrates there. Once you have one of those in place, you can mix the sand and black gravel on top.

Filtration is either/or IMO.

Lighting is a department that someone else will have to help you out with. I really haven't researched that much on screw in bulbs vs. tubes- I simply run Power Compacts on my 29 and 10, while using the stock 15w tube on my 5.
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I might have scrapped the 15 tall idea today when a fraternity brother of mine called. if I go to Peoria, Illinois this weekend I might pick up the 15 tall on an impulse buy still.

he is a team leader at Petco by his house and I asked him to look into the 15 tall for me and he could only get one for 31 or 32. but he told me about what he has in the employee only clearance. he had a 30 gallon Hex with top and light for $45.

so he is going to pick that up for me and I will have to have my dad build a stand for it between the 23rd and May 15 hopefully. my dad will take the 30 hex home next weekend when he visits me at school.

the only down side to the 30 tall is that is only comes with a light that can hold a 14 watt. there is enough room on the top to add another fixture but with both lights I'm still at only about 1WPG.

violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so my GF is buying me the 15 gallon tall tank I want for my birthday which is april 27 (please send gifts to...j/k). I would like to finally have a planted tank ans I am looking at 2 different light fixtures.

here are the 2 hoods -

# Aqualight Deluxe Series 96 watt 6700K 4-Tube (quad) square pin base compact fluorescent lamp

# Aqualight Deluxe Series 96 watt 50/50 4-Tube (quad) square pin base compact fluorescent lamp

both fixtures include -
# On/off switch
# Built-in ballast
# Two cooling fans
# Sleek aluminum housing
# Highly-polished reflector
# Acrylic lens cover

The stock list includes: 1 red male betta, 9-10 black/neons/cardinal tetra, 4 Panda Cory, and 3 otto.

filtration will be either a penguin 100 or 125 Biowheel and a heater of course.

Which of these would be better for my tank and why?

With that much lighting what can I grow that will not require a Co2 injection?

I was thinking of a carpeting plant preferably a grass over a moss type plant, and something tall for against the back, like amazon swords?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually those 50/50 bulbs are actinic/10000k and since actinic lights don't really do anything for plants id say go for the 6700k they have a nice colour to them imo and are great for plants.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50/50 bulbs are for reef tanks and not planted tanks.

Also 96 watts is an insane amount of light for a 15 gallon tank. You would need pressurized CO2 with a controller and an ample supply of nutrients. You would be much better off to retro-fit the stock strip light with an AH Supply 36 watt kit.

Skip the Bio-Wheel filter because if you ever go with CO2 injection they cause a lot of CO2 loss.

Semper Fi
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)8:15    Post subject: Filter Reply with quote

Go for the 125...because bigger is always better! My 15 (not tall) has two (2) Aquaclear 50's on it. Yes that's right. It houses the worlds messiest puffer, and some catfish that never stop pooing. In a 15 there will be plenty of room for the betta to get out of any current. You might want to even factor the current into your physical aquascaping design.

Cheers and good luck!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: