Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ctenopoma acutirostre
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)14:24    Post subject: Ctenopoma acutirostre Reply with quote

Ctenopoma acutirostre
aka leopard gourami, leopard bush fish

does anybody have experience in keeping this fish? I heard that it is predatory, and not really a labyrinth fish. I am setting up a 25 gallon long to keep one specimen and I would like to know how to keep it, and what experiences people have had with this fish.
King Neptune
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)2:30    Post subject: I have a leopard ctenopoma Reply with quote

I have had one for about 4 months. Diet wise I feed mine tubifex worms and brine shrimp regularly. mine prefers the worms more. Also I ocasionally feed it feeder guppies. Which it loves the most. They definitely like to hunt for their prey. I suggest turning off the tank light while feeding as they are nocturnal by nature. Mine hasn't been really aggressive but it definitely is territorial with its piece of driftwood. if you have any questions e-mail me.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a couple of these donated to us at work, I reallly like them but don't have the room for them at home! So we did a bit of research on them for their tank in quarantine. They are anabantids or labyrinth fish but can be predatory as well, their technique is to stay still and lunge in at prey which could cause a problem for slower moving fish! They come from Africa and their natural habitat is usually slow moving streams with dense cover so a bit of a quiet tank really with plenty of hiding spaces. Because they are predators they will eat smaller tankmates however Ctenopoma acutirostre is known to be a much more accomodating than other bushfish. Feed them meaty foods like mysis and the bigger varieties of worms. Temperature is anything over 24 degrees celcius and water should ideally be soft and slighly acidic.
One interesting point that we had problems with is their gill covers, they have a sharp serrated edge that can tangle in a net. If they do get trapped lower the net into the water and they will usually sort themselves out after a bit.
No idea on breeding though as different bushfish have different strategies.
Anyway theyre a great fish and really nice looking- good luck!
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)17:01    Post subject: Leopard bush fish Reply with quote

Are they compatible with large fish such as rainbow, dianos, angels and gouramis?

from Josh
King Neptune
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept mine with all types of Gouramis and he does fine - when I had angels he did good with those too. I find he is more aggressive with aggressive fish (ie. our Mono) but he has never really ever caused a problem with any of my community fish...I would make sure that if you DO keep with with different kinds of fish that yours has A LOT of places to hide - they really need driftwood and lots of well planted areas to stay happy and out of your other fishes way - I would never go with anything smaller then a 20 gallon tank with these guys.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)7:59    Post subject: Thanks King Neptune Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on what I needed as I was very close to buy the fish. Iwilldefinitely wait when I buy a larger fish tank or have more room.

from Josh
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: