Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is adding a second angelfish risky?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

BARBy wrote:
Hi Laskey, I appreciate the discussion! Yeah, I had concerns about the brackish needs too. I can tell you that my mother kept mollies in our soft water when I was a little kid and I still remember them having babies. How big do they get by the way?
I'd be interested in hearing what your angel does when the swordtails have fry. Good sport fishing for the angel---no more boredom!
I've been asking around, and someone on another forum suggested rams as good tankmates for an angel. I've never had them, but I've been reading about them and really like that idea.
Thanks for clueing me in about the gourami; I've never had one and didn't know they were so aggressive so I'll strike that idea. Glad to hear your angel is entertained now Smile

I don't know much about rams - I looked into them once but quit reading about them because I don't have soft water, which they need. However, aren't they also cichlids? You might want to get a second and third opinion on the rams. Although cichlids are often kept together, their nature is pretty territorial. Before finally trying out a ram, if you decide it's a possibility, I would also suggest that you make sure with the LFS that you may return any fish that don't work out. With angels anyway, it seems like "the more different the fish, the better" is the way to go, from my observations. For example, he hates gouramis and anything else big and flat, but "different" fish like swords, SAEs, loaches, etc. are okay. They occupy completely different territory than the angel and don't look anything like a competing species. And small fish that they can eat or terrorize are also "out". It looks like a medium-sized, peaceful fish, preferably in a trio, is where I would start looking. Welcome to cichlids, I guess! This is just based on my experience! Razz
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laskey, I've read and been told that rams are pretty docile cichlids. My only concern is my khuli loaches who will be in the ram's space. And I do adore my khulis. I have soft water, but oddly, it's alkaline too. I've been told that Bolivian Rams like and tolerate a higher pH. Yes, I'd still like to hear more opinions on rams.

I didn't realize mollies got so large. If I could find a variety that got no larger than 3.5, that would still be my safest option. Could you suggest anything here? I read that mollies live in both brackish and freshwater habitats in the wild.

In the meantime, I rearranged the tank to make more swimming space and just the change kept him busy exploring for the rest of the day. I've been growing some mosquito larve for him too for live food.

Glad your tank is now a happy habitat. I might take a new look at swordtails.
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I still can't say anything for sure about the rams, but they're beautiful fish and I would just make sure you can bring them back if they don't work out.

I've also seen small adult mollies and pretty-darn-huge mollies and haven't been able to make any connection between their size and what type of molly they are. They are a pretty messy fish, so you might have to clean up a little more after them, as livebearers in general can really crank it out. Not being very active fish, even bigger ones might not be too much of an issue in a 29-gallon tank provided you're not close to being fully-stocked, and/or are up to the task of some extra cleaning. You probably knew that Wink

I've heard that there are some differences among mollies as to their needs, their fragility or robust-ness, etc. So it could be true that some can and will thrive in water without salt. Even our gallery section has at least a couple different types of mollies. Even when you learn about them, it's sometimes hard simply because these livebearers interbreed so much. I had "sunshine mollies", which is probably a result of molly interbreeding, and/or perhaps interbreeding with swordtails and/or platys. Who knows! I don't think there really *is* such a thing as sunshine mollies, but that's what the store had to call them! Laughing So I really couldn't know what their specific needs are.

So if you would ask me, I'd say swordtails or maybe mollies, if you're sure about the brackish versus fresh water thing. I'm just of no use when it comes to Rams Wink Since the topic is now changing slightly and you have questions specifically about Rams and maybe mollies, I guess it wouldn't be objectionable if you would start a new thread about rams in this cichlid forum, and/or a thread about mollies in the Fishes and Invertebrates forum. Maybe that would get more people to read your posts Very Happy

Good luck! Laskey
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laskey for all your help. I posted a new topic on rams. How is your angel interacting or reacting to the swords? I just read a bit here about swords. I also read some accounts here of swords ripping angel fins, but stories of the opposite as well.

If they're active enough they may be a good possibility for entertaining and feeding my guy. I'm not sure though because he has no interest whatsoever in my tetras and cherry barbs because of their small size, I guess, and they are really active. I may just have to give one of these species a go and be ready to return 'em as you pointed out.
Boydy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a larger community tank which is 50gallons and I keep Angels, Gourami's, Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, Kuhli's, Thomasi's, and a number of catfish. I have no fighting or territorial issues between them however I do keep this tank understocked. If you are looking for a tank mate for a lonely Angel I would highly recommend a pair of male Rams. They are great companions and as long as you don't get a breading pair you won't have any trouble in a 29gallon tank.
For more detailed info see my reply to BARBy's Angel question in this post:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=21250

Let me know how you go,

Boydy
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

BARBy wrote:
Thanks Laskey for all your help. I posted a new topic on rams. How is your angel interacting or reacting to the swords? I just read a bit here about swords. I also read some accounts here of swords ripping angel fins, but stories of the opposite as well.

If they're active enough they may be a good possibility for entertaining and feeding my guy. I'm not sure though because he has no interest whatsoever in my tetras and cherry barbs because of their small size, I guess, and they are really active. I may just have to give one of these species a go and be ready to return 'em as you pointed out.

Well, it's been a few days now and everything's still going well with the swords. They keep to each other and don't bother anybody. They're probably low on the pecking-order, seeing as they're the new ones in an established tank. The angel doesn't bother them either. He's still quite happy and is out from his corner where he would go to sulk before.

Good luck with the rams. For what it's worth, when I mentioned cichlids being aggressive, I was also thinking about the angel. While the rams might be okay and peaceful, a big spoiled angel (wink!) might be the one you'll have to keep your eye on! Laughing Laskey
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: