Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is adding a second angelfish risky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)12:17    Post subject: Is adding a second angelfish risky? Reply with quote

I'll make this really short and sweet: In an established tank with one large angel and room for other inhabitants, would adding a young new angel be a recipe for disaster? (Especially seeing as young angels are impossible to sex.)

I have a lonely angel here; the rest of the inhabitants are only at the bottom of the tank most of the time, and my tank is a little understocked. I know there's room for another fish, and the tank is medium-planted-- if territory is the main consideration. This is a 29-gallon tank.

Thanks! Laskey
civicspeedny
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make sure its as big as the other one and make sure it has room to hide at first and it should be OK after a few days
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laskey, are you out there? I was wondering how things turned out since I am in exactly the same position---a lonely/bored, mature angel in a 29g. I am cautious about adding another angel (size and conflict issues) and am even considering other species as a companion since he used to love to interact with his 2 silver dollar friends before I gave them away Embarassed .

So I'd love to hear how you dealt with this and how it worked! Thanks!

BTW, the current tankmates are 5 tetras, 2 khulis, one oto, and 2 cherry barbs. All but the khulis could be relocated.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't add a second angel into the tank. 2 angels in the same tank don't create a good enough hierarchy and a 29g is too small for more than 2. The most feasible way of having another angel in that tank is if they were a breeding pair. Adding a second angel into that tank will cause the more dominant one to beat up the lesser one. Which is why it's best to keep them as a mated pair, alone, or in groups of 4 or more.
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was suspecting. I think he'd be fine with another species for companionship. He seemed to like the high activity level and social nature of the silver dollars so another species would keep him happy.; now to find the right one. Also, it takes a certain size fish for him to be socially interested. He takes no interest at all in the current, small residents

I wonder how 2 or 3 mollies would do with him? I've never had them, but my idea was that if they are social and active, he'd be happy to interact with them, AND if they had lots of babies, he'd be more than happy to EAT them. This would be a plus since using his natural predator skills would keep him intellectually engaged (he's bored and that makes me sad), so to speak. Also, some of them seem to get large enough (from my little reading) for him to be interested in them but without being large enough to overcrowd the tank. So how do mollies behave? Could this possibly work?

Thanks

Oh, the other idea was a gourami, maybe?
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nix to the gourami, I haev heard they do not go well together... (I wanted to added a small angel or ram to my gourami tank and everyone said no).. but mollys would probly be fine depending on the attitued of your angel
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollies would be a great idea. They are quite peaceful for the most part (unless you get a weird one), and aren't a very energetic fish that would be likely to stress out a slower angel. The only thing to consider with mollies is that they do better in somewhat brackish water. I'm really not sure how non-brackish water affects their well-being outside of maybe a slightly shorter lifespan. I'm still waiting for someone to give a definitive thumbs up or thumbs down to having mollies in fresh water. I guess it boils down to whether it's a preference versus a need. So many people here seem to have mollies in fresh water and haven't been criticized for it -- yet, that I have seen, anyway.

No gourami for you! (I'm sorry to say) Smile My strong recommendation is that you don't mix gouramis and angels. I had one of each, and when sexual maturity hit, it was war. I ended up buying another tank for the gourami. Each fish was too cute and personable to just give away.

I got the gourami a couple of platys and a swordtail trio to keep him company. Now, my angel *hates* platys but I'm thinking it's because they're so small and look like they can be bullied. However, I might test out the swordtails in the angel's tank and see what happens. They do not let themselves be bullied, and they are friendly, and the gourami just seems to love hanging out with them. They are similar to mollies, except they do seem more energetic--if they are spazzy in the 29-gallon, then they might not be the best choice. So I'm going to test swordtails in there, see how everyone gets along, and then maybe get my angelfish some swordtail companions. I do love mollies though and would like to have some again; I just need to feel better about having them in a tank with no salt in the water.
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I put swordtails in with the angel. I saw the angel chase the male, but only for about five inches, forget what he was doing, and swim up to me. The swords are hanging around the bottom of my cabomba caroliniana, and the male comes out occasionally to sightsee and test his boundaries. A few times he got close to the angel and the angel ignored him completely. Still testing them out--if it keeps going well, I'll keep them in there. No spazzy energy so far either, but I'll see what they're like when they're used to the new surroundings. If this works out, I'll get another trio of swordtails or platys for the gourami tank, since he seems to like them as companions.

The angel stopped sulking in a corner since I put in the swordtails, too. The poor thing was really getting too lonely to wait any longer.
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laskey, I appreciate the discussion! Yeah, I had concerns about the brackish needs too. I can tell you that my mother kept mollies in our soft water when I was a little kid and I still remember them having babies. How big do they get by the way?
I'd be interested in hearing what your angel does when the swordtails have fry. Good sport fishing for the angel---no more boredom!
I've been asking around, and someone on another forum suggested rams as good tankmates for an angel. I've never had them, but I've been reading about them and really like that idea.
Thanks for clueing me in about the gourami; I've never had one and didn't know they were so aggressive so I'll strike that idea. Glad to hear your angel is entertained now Smile
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.29(Fri)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the swordtails are a hit! Everyone is getting along fine, and the swordtails aren't as spazzy as I was afraid they might be. The angel is visibly happier. About the fry, I do have a tank set up for whatever babies come my way, but honestly I've come to terms with the way nature works and if I would find myself up to my neck in babies, I grudgingly admit that I'd probably let nature take over. They have the best chance in my tank that they can, with all of the plants and hiding spots, so... Rolling Eyes Wink
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: