Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Zebra Cichlid( male or female)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamtom
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)7:34    Post subject: Red Zebra Cichlid( male or female)? Reply with quote

Hi.I was wondering if any could please tell me how you can tell the sex of red zebra cichlid??? and I am pretty sure its a red zebra...its bright orange , has 3 to 4 yellowish spots on anal fin
Mobern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way to tell is depending on the size of the vent and anal opening in relation to each other.. but I get confused on which is which... if you google "sexing malawi cichlids" you'll surely get some info on it..

sorry I couldn't be of much help Rolling Eyes

mobern
pamtom
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D THANK YOU SO MUCH MOBERN..I WILL GOOGLE AND CHECK IT OUT!!!
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link. These are of my red zebra, I posted pics to find out the sex of it. http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74560&highlight= If your fish isn't mature it will be hard to tell.
pamtom
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)5:12    Post subject: THANK YOU DR_FOSG8 Reply with quote

Wow..mine must be juvi.Exactly the same as yours dr_fosg8.Bright orange at the moment...bought 2 and half to three inches in length.Thank you so much. Pam
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

My red Zebra is the colour as your, I got them in a pair, the male was blue and the female was orange/yellow, it all depends on exactly what kind of zebra you have, their are many diffrent kinds. I'm guessing yours is female though, my bf red zebra is also this colour and his is female.
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

jynxy, Where did you get a blue male? They are rarely seen in the hobby. Is it an F0(wild caught)?

Red zebra juvies are usually a very dark and vivid orange. When they begin to mature the females color intensity grows more orange. While the males tend to turn pale, almost pink. Both sexes can have egg spots on their anal fins, the males spots will turn beige in color while spots on a female will get dark orange.
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the pair up at my lfs, the male died, so now I'm left with her. Shes more orange in colour than she is yellow. The guy at the lfs told me that the pair had bred before in his tank, and was keeping them isolated from the rest. Maybe they where wild caught, I dunno Confused
ercnan
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:51    Post subject: Zebra sex Reply with quote

I read somewhere that most farm raised Zebras are all orange, both males and females, while the wild fish have blue males and orange females. Not really sure if this is the case, but I had three orange ones for six months and not a hint of breeding activity. I bought a fourth one that was blue, and within a week, two of the three orange ones were holding.
I know that in my case the male is blue, but don't know if he is a wild caught or not. I'm curious now as to what color the fry will be. They have about another week to go before release.
Males blue and females orange?
Interesting.
mbunafan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience females are a deeper, brighter orange than males. Males are a paler orange, and they have a bluish tinge to their scales and their fins are light blue, much like dr_fosg8's
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: