Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Outdoor pond for breeding Tropicals. (not a REAL pond.)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)0:10    Post subject: Outdoor pond for breeding Tropicals. (not a REAL pond.) Reply with quote

OK, I have really wanted to do this for the past few years but have finally really gotten into making some solid plans and doing this with the help of my buddy from work (A local privatley owned fish store of course). We are going to buy a big baby pool from Toys R Us. We are going to use a small amount of pea gravle for the substrate to put plants in and also have floating plants. With all of the plants we are debating on whether or not to use filtration. Anyway, our stocking plans are a nice assortment of swordtails (Pineapples, Greens, Neon, and pepper and salts(bright white on bright orange)), High fined Blue Rams, Kribs, and Cardinal tetras and possibly some Julii Cories. I know most of these will breed and we are going to use natural rain water and also have black water extract and peat moss in the pool for better breeding conditions. A powerhead will be used to keep the water circulating and not over heating. I we use a filtration system it will be a canister filter and we are going to make a very large drip tray to be set above the pool to simulate a 3 week "rainy season" period as we gradually drop the pH in the water and then the dry season will kick in with the warmer weather and the breeding should take place. What are your thoughts on this and is there anything we can do to improve the chances of this all working out? Thanks

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest obstacle is the night time drop in temps vs the noon climb. Most tropicals can't handle big temperature flux. stabilize the temp with a heat sink and it can work.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there will be a cover to keep the pool shadded during most of the day and with the powerhead, temperatures shouldn't get too high. And with a big enough volume of water I don't think it is going to change too much that fast.

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really cool, I first saw a tropical fish pond at Kew Gardens in London ten years ago, regular fish like Platies and Swords were huge with the increase in water volume. I had thought about doing a similar project in my summer room but I have two problems - one being temperature (40 degrees plus in the sun to minus 2 in the winter) and the other one is my cat! On that note is your pool going to vulnerable to the local wildlife? Please keep us updated with how this progresses Very Happy
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the enthusiasm. There is going to be a mesh netting over the pond at all times so the local critters around here can't mess with my fish. Trust me, I've thought about this cause we have a koi pond and I've seen the animals trying to eat em.

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure how big it is, but I don't like the idea of mixing rams and kribs. The latter are more aggresive and may compete for territory. Cories would be great for this kind of pond. For the swordtails I would personally stick to one particular color variety unless you don't mind most of them being green by the end of the summer(sticking a few of the others together might provide interesting fish but certainly won't work if improving a strain is your goal). Swordtails do best in neutral to slightly akaline-I don't think compromising with the cardinals would be very good. If you want cardinals to breed you would have to have the water pretty acidic. Your ideas of getting to this are good. I might even suggest just trying cardinals and perhaps the cories. Cardinals are tough to breed in aquariums so most are WC and if you succeed you might invent a new procedure at going about it. Another one that might work would be apistogrammas, but again any other fish might interfere with your success with cardinals.

Also to throw this idea at you that some killifish do well in ponds over the summer. I've personally used lineatus and imagine most of the larger plant spawning types would do well outside too(just be sure they are protected from birds, suicidal tendencies, and whatnot). Some people report goodeids to do well in ponds...the possibilities are endless.

Your project sounds really cool! Good luck on it!
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Noname. The approxamite dimesnsions of the pool are 1.5ft deep, and at least 6 feet in diameter. I will be adding rocks, wood, and lots of plants so I really don't think that the Kribs would affect the rams that much with that much room. I am going to use a few other large (20-60 gallon) water containers to do the different varieties of swords and possibly a few agazzassis(sp). I will keep you all updated with pics and news on how everything is doing.

Adam
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put fish outside every year, and it's always worth it.
We humans have only melanin for pigment, so we only get dark in the sun. Fish get instead very brightly colored, and they grow very well under pool conditions.

A word of advice--- no gravel.
You'll quickly discover that the bottom will get covered in sludge, and this sludge would either bury the gravel or the gravel would make it harder to remove the sludge.

Cover the top with floating plants to keep the water cooler. If you really want a good filter setup, hook up a second pool beside the first one. Pump water from the main pool into the second one, and let the water pour out of the second one back into the first one. STUFF the second one with plants. They will keep the water amazingly clear while still allowing the fish in the main pool lots of free room to swim.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: