Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does any one else...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)20:26    Post subject: Does any one else... Reply with quote

Does anyone else like the Idea of a Board for Breeding questions? I think it would be nice Very Happy just wondering if enough are interested to get them to make one. Sound off, please say Yes or No lets find out Wink
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

This and other topics have been proposed in the past for consideration to add to the group of areas. It has been determined that generally there is not enough interest. Few of our members are serious breeders. Those that are or those that want to be tend to post in already existing areas. Including of the moderators here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I couldn't find any history of it being ask before. It seems like there has been a good amount of new people signing on and I was hopefull that it might just be possible to get a breeder board up by asking. I was also hopefull that non-breeders would express an interest in having access to info and help.

I was always told the only way to get info is to ask questions Wink
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have commented on this in some fairly recent posts. You can check those out here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=18679
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17768

Also, someone recently asked for a catfish forum and Marcos replied with:

Quote:
Of all the "new forum" possibilities that regularly come up here, a Catfish forum is among the most likely candidates, given that it fulfills several of the requirements for a separate forum to be created, particularly:

1) It has a reasonably well defined scope and boundary with other forums;

2) There's a large enough number of families, genera and species in the group, with radically different characteristics and requirements, which leads to enough complexity that topics/discussions won't be too repetitive;

3) The webmaster really likes catfish

So this one (together with a Breeding forum) are under serious consideration. The only issue is whether there's really enough demand for it on this board. I do not generally believe in creating the forum first and then hope people will populate it. The multilingual forum was an experimental exception and it's already showing why I don't like this type of approach (*yawn*)...I'm not sure it'll last much longer on the board and then I might actually replace it with one or both of these I've mentioned...

Of particular note is this sentence:
Quote:
So this one (together with a Breeding forum) are under serious consideration.

If enough people ask in a polite way we may get our request. I may not be a serious breeder but with the info that COULD be on this site I may be able to become one. Keep your fingers crossed.

Doosharm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess I frased my search poorly I looked For "Breeding Board" Not "Forum" I did go through several posts and didn't see anything remotely close. Though I was mostly checking the subject lines. Embarassed
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one would love a breeding forum. There, I said it.
Everything breeds, and it's not always easy, so there should be some interest. Heck, the livebearer forums alone raise an amazing number of posts, and they're just livebearers. Fish-KEEPERS breed their fish, and such a forum would be useful for converting the havers into keepers, I would think. There's lots of ripe subjects like conditioning and triggers and fry feeding and whatnot to keep things lively, and since most boards just lump breeding in with fish, a breeding forum would be fairly unusual.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Salt wrote:
Fish-KEEPERS breed their fish, and such a forum would be useful for converting the havers into keepers, I would think.
nice left hook! Laughing You've convinced me with that point Salt...

Perhaps there could be some structure to this section to make it really solid.
For example, would it work if a species were kept to one thread?
I.e. breeding oscars... you have a question, append the Oscar thread.
The end result would be a one stop shop of Oscar breeding questions...

If you have questions on a species with no thread, begin one...

might be an idea...
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM I'm not sure that having each species limited to a thread would work out. For example two people want to know about breeding a fish. One wants to do so in a display tank(because that is their only tank) and another is setting up a tank just for breeding. I think setting up a breeding tank will have enough variation in tank size, filtration maintenance options etc that it would warrant not having a cookie cutter setup. just my 2 cents though...take it for what its worth Laughing Smile
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with DM, doesn't matter how you are going to breed said species, all info on breeding be it for show or profit or just because can be put into one thread, so everyone can pick and choose methods. If there is soemthing not covered all it needs to be done is appended.
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TOS, DM, and Huntress. If each general type had its own section it Should work. I just realy want a specific place to ask questions Very Happy I would very much like it if, I had a good way to find out answers to all my breeding questions. So far I'm trying to learn about goldfish(not too hard I know but still Confused ), glass catfish, and will soon be looking for info on Rams. which is kinda why I asked. so far all I can find is scattered info from people who may or may not have real life exp.

Besides like TOS said its what Fish-Keepers would be interested in Wink

Thanks for speaking up ya'll
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: