Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Air Filters
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)20:19    Post subject: Air Filters Reply with quote

I was shocked when I got my new rubbernose pleco the other day. Knowing they prefered currents, I added a single airtstone, that airstone actually blew my betta to the other side of my 10 gallon tank. (don't worry about the stocking, its under control Smile) This was certainly much more current than my small whisper filter.

Even the smallest air pumps run 15- 75 gph in very affordable sizes. While too small for large tanks, are we overlooking their ability on tanks below 20 gallons? What is the effciency cut by when attached to a sponge? My sponge is a quarter or so of a AC 500 sponge with a simple pvc pipe in it, not the most efficient design, but visually, it seems to collect more solids than my mechanical whisper, and certainly has more surface area.

Thoughts?
asaint
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question you pose. Air driven filtration has fallen long out of popularity. Given the inherent problems with undergravel filters, it's not hard to see why.

As far as using a sponge filter, I'm less then enthusiastic about them. I feel that combining a mechanical and biological filtration in a sponge is a reciepe for problems. Cleaning the sponge kills the bacterial (potentially). Leaving it dirty defeats the purpose of it being a mechanical filtration.

Others will disagree with this.

asaint
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with asaint.
When I got intothe hobby awhile back, I used to wash the cartidge with Water from the tap or hot water. Same with the sponge. This is why many hoobyists fail in keeping fish. You kill all the Bacteria then your fish die, and you give up. Stick with a cannister they provide very good currents, also How big is your tank.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: