Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
46 Gallon Brackish Tank
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)12:32    Post subject: 46 Gallon Brackish Tank Reply with quote

Hey all!

I was in a petstore yesterday and was intrigued by some brackish fish. I was wondering if I could convert my one of my 46 bowfronts into a brackish tank. I was interested in 1 "freshwater moray", 3-4 archer fish, and 1 figure 8 or spotter puffer (not sure which one I like). Here are my questions...

1.Would these fish be to much for my tank?
2.Could I get a few goby or two?
3. How much salt should I add to the water?
4. Would Java moss, anubias and Java fern survive in brackish water?
5. What would I feed these fish?

Any advice is welcome, thanks a lot!
~fishfan23~
bobo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh...archer fish get to be about a foot. I don't think you can put a fig. 8 w/ moray, but I bet you could with a green spotted puffer, those get about 6 inches.

1.yes
2. you can get a violet goby, but most people think they are ugly, and if you do I would not get eel
3.1 tsp pre gallon
4.java moss and fern will survive, don't no bout the other.
5.puffers- you have to feed snails to keep there teeth trimed. other than that frozen or freez dried plankton, krill, blood worms, brine shrimp.
moray-live fish...bout all I can think
violet goby-not to differrent from puffers. fronen blood worms brine shrimp.

hope this helps!
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 46 gallon tank, I would look into knight, rather than violet/dragon, gobies. They don't attain the same size at all.

I would be wary of puffers with any of the fish, however. I've yet to see a puffer maintain the Good Citizen Award for more than a day.

The "freshwater" moray eel you speak of could be any number of eels, true or otherwise, sold on the open market. Got a scientific name to back it? Also, there are many brackish water eels that, as they age, turn into marine fish, and head into the 1.024 salinity range, which your other fish would not like! At the zoo, we have two Echidna rhodochilus, who are wild-caught individuals who now take frozen food from tongs; currently we are moving them over into a marine setup.

As for salt to the water, invest in a good hydrometer. You want to score a reading around 1.010-1.014. Java fern should do fine in that water; some vals will as well. I have no experience with java moss or anubias in brackish water.

Some fish I would recommend: knight gobies, sailfin mollies, bumblebee gobies, glassfish, four eyes, and perhaps mudskippers, the latter only if you are willing to have a setup that is 2/3 land.

Check out for more details: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/BrackishSubWebIndex.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
M249spence
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the dragon, violet goby thing (it's a little late),
taratron is right...they can get up to 2 ft long, probably too big for your tank. I found this article the other day about them, they're pretty cool fish...
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/default.aspx?pageid=118 let us know what stocking options you went with!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: