Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Self pressured Pond Filter (design) - could it work?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)8:37    Post subject: DIY Self pressured Pond Filter (design) - could it work? Reply with quote

OK, it's still early (for saturday Wink) and I've not had quite enough coffee. But the guy at the hardware store suggested a "siphon" type (diy) of pump/filter for my 100g pond and it got me thinking. I came up with this hairbrained idea and aside from having to check on it daily (I don't mind, I look for an excuse to be outside) what other drawbacks could this have?

It's the top half of a two liter soda bottle with a one inch diameter tube, approximately 10ft long siliconed to the opening. The bottom half cut off and a pantyhose "screen" covering the bottom open end. There will be pea sized holes punched out along the bottle as well. The inside is packed loosely with sterile gauze and a sache of activated carbon tucked inside.
The principal is that I place the bottle with the filter media in the pond with about 6ft of the hose coiled around the bottom (covered with plants) to build the pressure, the last few feet of the tubing will come up out of the water. It would take some finagling to get the placement just right for the proper amount of pressure. Filling the tube with water it will work as a syphon method. In theory, pressure from the syphon will pull water into the bottle and through the filter media, through the tube and back into the pond. It would be extremely cheap, not to mention, no electric cables to plant. Also, and this would be one of the important notes, I would have three of these running, incase one stopped or became clogged before I discovered it.
Any suggestions? Do you think it will work, or do I need to drink more coffee Shocked???
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)14:03    Post subject: pressurized? Reply with quote

Where would the flow come from? If you don't use a pump, you might be able to fill it with water...but unless you use gravity somehow it won't move the water at all. The syphon technique used in aquariums relies on the fact that the destination of the water is lower than the source of the water. If I understand correctly, the water is coming from and going to the same location. There will not be any syphon as a result. Your design would work if you used some form of pump to pull/push water through it.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out, I'm going to create a small pool, elevated above the main pond. I'll then use a pump to get the water up into the pool, and use the filters to get the water back into the pond. The only thing will be making sure that the pump I buy as the same g/h capacity as the filters or vice versa.
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you don't need to have the elevation in order to use a pump. You do need a pump in order to have the elevation though. The pump is basically mandatory.

As far as gph matching, the pump will operate at the level of the weakest link. If the hose can only support 200gph, then the pump will operate at 200gph..but at higher pressure. You will risk exploding the tube, or burning out the motor in the pump if the pressure becomes too high. You can always run tubes and/or pumps in parallel to increase flow rate. Running pumps in series will increase pressure, running tubes in series is just silly ( = a longer tube).
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a hundred percent sure what you're talking about, the pump with parallel tubes, or series, but I get what you mean about the rest of it. I did want to have the elevated part of it, it will mostly be planted over, but I wanted a waterfall effect. This way, I get the water fall - sorta - but the water will be filtered before reentering the pond. I'm going to be looking for a very small pump, I'm hoping to find one about 50gph. I was at the hardware store the other day and all I found were utility pumps that put out 2-4 thousand! I'm going to have to look around a bit more.
Incidentally though, my husband works as a printer, and two guys up at the shop do landscaping on the side. He brought me home a bigger liner, so I'm going to end up with possibly, 160-200g... Not sure yet, I'm going to have to dig a bigger hole. But I may end up needing a bit more of a pump/filter than I was previously planning so the whole thing may end up scrapped anyways.
Still... bigger pond... I'm good with that!
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Destany,
You really missed an old post about perpetual motion machines that we had some fun with, which is what your design is. The pop bottle idea is a good one, simply hook it up to the intake on your pump then run the outflow tube to your upper pond. In my experience, keeping it simple with ponds is the way to go. If you want to get fancy you can mass plant the upper pond with dwarf cattails and other sedges or rushes. These will act as a biofilter as they feed on the nitrates and organic waste in your water.
Good luck!
P.S. Checked out your website. Beautiful artwork.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: