Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A few teasers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks immensely for the VERY nice compliments, all... Smile

ophie:
Quote:
So exciting to see some stuff I haven't seen before!

Yes, I'm very fortunate to have the local store that I do. Their only weakness seems to be in getting exotic Betta and licorice gourami species. B. pugnax is the only other species they stock, but I'm holding out for some B. foerschi.

fishboy:
Quote:
I especially like the picture of the Anubias flower.

I've got some pics with bubbles pearling and streaming from the flower. It's quite a sight to see--within a few seconds of turning off the hood that's overhead, the streaming stops, and vice versa.

Raul-7:
Quote:
Is your aquarium an open aquarium...because I heard that Phyllanthus fluitans only develops those red colors in open aquariums with good lighting. Are those two fish Amazonian, they would be a nice addition to my 55g, but by the looks I think they're South-East Asian?! Anyways...you must have great lighting conditions (knock on wood), since most of your plants seem to be doing great! Is that Mayaca (Fluviatilis) in the last pic. with the Red Coral Pencilfish? Well, keep up the great tank!

Could you show us a complete pic. of the aquarium? And tell us what animal-life is in there?

This redder phyllanthus was growing in a 24"-tall aquarium filled about 2/3 full of water, with 110W of compact fluorescent lighting over head. It did, however, have a glass cover. I had it growing in other tanks filled to the top with water, and the plants were green. As far as I can tell, lighting seems to be the more important factor.

Both fish species are from the Amazon basin, predominantly from tributaries in the vicinity of Peru. The plant behind the pencilfish is Mayaca sellowiana (some authors regard this species as Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan''), which grows to a greater diameter than M. fluviatilis. Complete tank pics will come when they're a little (or a lot, as the case may be) more presentable. I'll mention that I currently have up and running a 40G-breeder, 24G custom flat-back tall hex, 15G-long, 10G, and a 3-liter nano-tank. Crap, how did that happen?? Total Fishgeek line starts right here... Confused

Skysong
Quote:
That's a person who knows what they're doing.
What are your tank(s) specs? How many pencils do you have?

You wouldn't think that if you saw my 15G right now! That one's going to need a LOT of work before I snap a picture of it again! I'll list more comprehensive tank specs as I get pictures to display (there's just too much to list), but I currently have 7 coral red pencils in the 40G along with 8 Espe's pencilfish, and 8 dwarf pencilfish and an unidentified species (possibly Nannostomus evelynae) in the 15G.

Shawna apple-of-my-eye:
Quote:
Everything's GORGEOUS, Tula! And I LOVE your coral reds!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean everything that I've chosen to show. Cutting room floor, you know how that goes. Again, the 15G is atrocious at the moment. Now, need I remind you of our policy on multiple repetitive punctuation marks???????? Wink
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

those red pencils are gorgeous - I want I want!!

Great tank these pics sure were teazers Laughing

Ian
sucinimad

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Always count on the gurus to bring out the best stuff!!!!
Steve Hampton, it's your turn!!
Shark70
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.16(Wed)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful plants and fish! I have never seen coral red pencilfish - very nice. I wish my anubias would flower like that.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.16(Wed)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tula I'm so jealous Smile Makes me want to go out and redo my 10g I have to do that anyways, the anacharis is floating all over theplace and the cories are tearing up the crypts. This weekend will be aquascaping time. Maybe I'll get my little 5g planted and ready for show as well now that I can get a nice light for it.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.04.17(Thu)2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means do it, Andrea. This Photo Album needs more photos from folks! The Portugese board has lots of great photos, so if anyone's holding back, start posting.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing fish! wish I had some of those!

Jane
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: