Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lion Fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)17:36    Post subject: Lion Fish Reply with quote

I am in the process of setting up a 29 gal saltwater. I am slowly getting all the supplies that I need, so I am looking at 6 - 8 months before I will be putting any type of fish in it. I have found myself a very good lfs that even recommends cycling, which is unusual in this city. My question is about type of fish, my grandson would like me to get a lion fish, the lfs says that they are a hardy fish and that cyanide isn't used on any of the fish that they sell. But my concern is how did they catch this fish since they cannot be hand caught because of the poisen that they have? Also are they a good fish to have, I am in no way a beginner I have had aquariums for the last 20 years.

Any comments will be completely helpful and all advice will be taken.

Thanks
Susan
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionfish are slow moving fish. It is actually possible to catch them with your hands (don't try at home) I caught my lionfish out of the lfs tank that way. Their venom is only on their dorsal area. In the wild, collectors often wear gloves and just simply grab them and move them toward a large plastic bag, container etc.
I got my lionfish at about 4 inches and he is about 9 inches long right now. Extremely hardy, my dialy seas system removed salt out of the water one day and killed all the fish except for the lionfish and some damsels. And you really do have to watch out for the amount of space you have for a lionfish though. You could try the fuzzy dwarf lion since those stay small but may be a little bit hard to feed. Once they start eating though, they are pretty hardy. They have a great personality and associate their owner with food and start swimming into the glass when you walk by.
GOOD LUCK!!!
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lfs has the fuzzy dwarf, and said he would keep one for me as long as I need to wait. He knows how I am about how I like my water just perfect. Sounds like its what I want. Just was wondering on how they were caught to be on the safe side. I spoil my fish just like all my other animal family. As you can see by signature its quite large. Laughing Is a 29 large enough for him? Can anything else go into tank with him. Lf said that I could put marroon clown with him since its not too small (to fit into mouth) but what about aggression of either?

Thanks for all the info.

A great board here
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionfish are often catagorized as semi-aggressive or aggressive when most of the time they are not. These are one of the more intelligent fish so each fish has its own attitude. My lionfish ignores all the other fish but when one fish, say the blue face angel, nips at it, he chases it down for atleast 10 seconds around the tank. My experiences with the fuzzy dwarf tell me that they are extremely docile. They are a bit nervous so try not to put fish that dart around like damsels as it may scare them and if they don't they might get eaten instead. Make sure your maroon clown isn't small enough to fit in the lions mouth! Ask the dealer if the lion has been eating as they are picky at times. As I said before, the lionfish are usually collected with plastic containers or bags. They are among the easiest of all fishes to capture so cyanide is extremely rare. If you're concerned about room, your 29 gallon is enough. The books I've read recommend a 20- 30 gallon aquarium and they do stay relatively small. They don't move much either so room should not be a concern.
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the helpful info. I think I will get the dwarf lionfish. the marroons that he has at the store are fairly good size so I think that it would be OK. This is going to be my first salt and I want everything to go great. Least ways I don't discourage to easly. That is why when I get a new tank I work at it very slow. I think my next step will be a good r/o unit as Tulsa water is not that great. I keep having problems with high nitrates. test high from the tap. so it has to be a good r/o unit.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have some docile, hardy fish to break in the tank for a while before adding the lionfish though. Lionfish are harsh on the bioload due to the large amount of waste they create.

Good Luck, Have Fun!
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was thinking about starting off with the marroon clown and maybe one other, The lionfish will be the last one. Granddaughter wants the clown (NEMO) she's five, she would like Dori also but not sure about what that one is. I want to add them one at a time just like I would with FW and I figured the lion would be the most territorial so would be last.

I know things are going to go slow, but I have patience and want to have everything just right. Going to order R/O unit next week. Not sure if I like the ones at petsmart. 30.00 rather on the cheap side and probably wouldn't do what I want it to do.]

Thanks for all the info. you have been very helpful.

BTW just inherited 12 baby mallards, Shocked got to get hold of animal aid for them. don't think they would fit with 5 cats. Very Happy
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dori is a hippo tang.

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/BlueTang8.jpg
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, lionfish aren't really territorial at all. I have 2 together. Dori is a blue or hippo tang. This is a favorite for almost everybody except you shouldn't keep one in a 29 gallon. They grow pretty large and need a 75 gallon minimum. Also, nemo is an ocellaris clown and you shouldn't mix clownfish, especially the maroon as it is the most aggressive of all clowns. I personally like the maroon more because of the dark red. Nemo is the only fish in the whole movie that should be kept in a 29 gallon. Also, don't try to buy one of those mini blue tangs as they do not live long.

Batman
10 Gallon Planted
Assorted Reptile Species
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

to my granddaughter the marroon is nemo, so she can believe that one. on the tang it will be a no. Don't feel like changing my 75 g at the moment. I enjoy my tropicals to much. Maybe latter down the road. Seen a 150g that I would like to get my hands on. but alas not enough room Sad Maybe I can find something simular in color that I might be able to pass off to her (probably not though) kids are kids.

I won't even look for a mini tang. Will figure out something. maybe a cutout taped to the outside of the tank Rolling Eyes

Thanks for all the help
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: