Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filtration, cleaners and lighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more questions...sorry. The nitrates in the tank hold up at a pretty constant 20 ppm, which I know is not zero. The water changes pull that number down to 0, but within a day, they go back up. So, will removing the bio-wheel, adding a skimmer, and more LR be beneficial to creating a balanced nitrogen cycle, and, in conjuction with that, why is the bio-wheel/hang-on filter not helping the cause? I trust that the advise you all are giving me is good, I just need to understand exactly what's going on with the different apparatis that I'm currently employing, and the cost/benefit to removing and or keeping certain aspects. Embarassed

I just also want to make sure that the popular thought is Turbo snails do the best job, and how many per gallon would be recommended? I've learned that the current margaritas I have seem to be happier on the rocks than on the glass, or they get on the glass and I end up having to put them back in the water, due to the propensity they have of climbing to the top of the tank and hang out on the ceiling of the hood until they fall back into the water. Confused At this point I usually have to flip them over, and I'm kinda freaked out by the sighting of a bristle worm which makes these moments of exposure less than composed. My last question, what other fish can I put with a blue damsel safely? I appreciate all the help so far, I'm learning a ton from you all, and hopefully one day I'll be able to help someone like you all helped me.

Chris
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biowheel is disigned to provide a great home for the bacteria that produce nitrates. so if you want nitrates of 0 then you must get rid of it. Think of it as a nitrate farm or factory. As for the snails I have all kinds so mix it up.
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.11(Mon)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per all your advise, I bought a skimmer over the weekend, and removed the bio-wheel. Just set everything up, and all is working pretty well. Also brought home some Turbo snails. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works. I left the penguin filter on, as at this point I just wanted to get the skimmer going, and it provides at least a little water movement. I'm going to look into getting a power-head or two soon. Thanks again.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: