Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filtration, cleaners and lighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.06(Wed)23:40    Post subject: Filtration, cleaners and lighting Reply with quote

I already plan on adding a Protien Skimmer to my 29 G tank, but I was wondering if that meant I could then get rid of the penguin filter w/ biowheel currently being used? Along with that, I think the 10g quarantine tank is a great idea. Also, any good suggestions for inverts to clean glass. I've found that my snails prefer to hang out on the LR, and tend to end up out of the tank when they are on the glass, they are margarita's.

At the moment I have the flourescent light that came with my hood as lighting, and there really isn't anything, at least that I know of, in the tank that recquires anything more. However, what else should I look into as far as lighting goes, and what would the benefit be?

I'd really like to eventually not have the hanging filter, and use a refugium/sump type thing. Throwing that out there, the tank isn't very big, does anyone know of any DIY reading I could do on either of these, or have any decent, and moderately priced companies that I can look into. Thanks

Chris
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as lighting goes, you'd really have to decide what you wish to accomplish before upgrading. Filters, IMO, at least in the common sense of the word, are obsolete in LR/LS systems. Not that they don't work, they do, but they're unnecessary at best, and counter-productive at worst.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have live Rock, Then yes the filter can be removed after the rock is established. But I would highly recomend that you DO NOT Remove it. Most People remove the filter media on sumps after the rock is established but in your case and your fish Etc, don't Remove it.
Heres a DIY Link for the sump tank etc
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_overflow.php
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Let the grand experiment continue.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, there's really nothing "experimental" about "going filterless" at this point. Too many people have been doing it successfully for too many years to still consider it a "fad" or "experiment". Yes, it's a full-fledged method. Try explaining it to someone who's used a filter designed for system 5-10x as large, tho, and they'll look at you cross-eyed. In this sense, keeping marine and reef tanks, less is certainly more.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also can not think of any reason not to remove the biofilter from a marine aquarium with live rock. Live rock, substrate, and a protein skimmer is a tried and proven method.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

For glass cleaners, I have found that turbo snails are doing a great job on my tank. They clean up most of it, and I just need to do a quick wipe with my algae magnet on water change day.
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the "experiment" goes, it's more my adventure into keeping a SW tank. I don't know if you all have seen my initial posts, but I was sort of thrown into this while I was in the process of preparing and learning to start, so I've been posting here and there trying to get as much information as I can. So, to get this straight in my mind, I can remove the bio-wheel after the skimmer is in place, and let nature take it's course? I'm assuming that the other parts of the equipment would stay in place, as it provides some filtration via a carbon filter thing, and also provides water movement. Sorry, if I sound kinda dumbfounded by everything, and if I do, most likely it's because I'm trying to take in as much information as I can, and I just need suggestions like I've been getting. I'm finding even on many posts for beginners, there are so many different set-ups and goals that I can get a good idea, but nothing is exactly what I need to know at the time. I grow more and more excited about learning about keeping the system everytime I get some info. Thanks so far, and any other advise would be very welcomed.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the bio-wheel immediately. I would also remove the pads a few weeks later. If you want to use it for carbon, use high quality carbon in a small sock. The "movement" the filter provides in negligable. You'll be much better off with PHs for movement. A minimum of 10x tank volume per hour would be required.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. There is no reason at all to wait on removing the biomedia. I have never been a big fan of mechanical filtration in a marine aquarium either, due to the phosphate buildup which can occur indirectly.

You may look into purchasing an ocillating power head, which actually rotates side to side, creating water currents within the entire aquarium. Some hobbyists also like to have a smaller powerhead on a timer, kicking on and off at various intervals to mimic the tides.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: