Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Buying Already Setup Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legodude
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.06(Wed)21:33    Post subject: Buying Already Setup Tank Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've been planning to get into SW sometime this summer, probably a FOWLR type gig. Well, I recently found out that a friend of a friend wants to sell his complete setup:

2x40gal tall
Sump
RODI
Overflow
Stand/Canopy
250w Metal Halide
2x55w Actinic
Skimmer
Chiller
Heater
Live rock
Powerheads etc
Salt, supplements, etc.
Etc.

I am sorry about the sketchy details, I know stuff like glass v. acrylic etc can make a difference, but, what would a good price for all of this be? IE, if even with the most inexpensive of components it would be worth $1000 on the used market and he wants say $300, then it would obviously be a good deal. He will get me a complete equipment list within a week but I would like to have some idea.

Now for the real point of my post. Which of this stuff do I actually need for a basic FOWLR rock setup? I am handy with tools so could easily make the stand and hood. Then either keep his MH lamps or load up with lots of cheap flourescents. Most of the filtration stuff, sump, skimmer, powerheads, heater, etc, I would keep. The chiller and RODI it seems I could do without. Keep his live rock/substrate and DIY more rock if necessary. Does this appear logical?

Thanks
Mike
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what's included exactly, the rough gauge is about $10/gallon for a basic used system. Since this one already has pretty good MH lighting specs and a chiller, it would go a little higher, up to around $800 for a 40 gallon complete set-up with chiller and MH lighting 250W or better. But, again, you have to know what the component pieces are.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: