Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
green water
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)20:47    Post subject: green water Reply with quote

I need help, I have a huge green water problem that came out of nowhere. What causes it, and how should I get rid of it? My tank is fairly new and I've been having brown algae blooms but have just been letting it take it's course, is this also something that will go away once a new tank settles?
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information on your tank is needed.

What size tank
How much light.
How long are the lights on.
Nitrate levels.
Phosphate levels.
Dosing schedule and amounts.
Plant load.

Also include as much detail about how you set up the tank as possible.

Algae is caused by an imbalance of nutrients. GW is normally caused a nitrate or phosphate imbalance.

Semper Fi
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)21:45    Post subject: sorry... Reply with quote

I apologize.... I panicked and wrote this question before checking other sections of the board, I am now more informed on green algae and think I will use the blackout method however will my plants be alright for 5 days without light? Also with regards to the chemistry of the matter, I'm unsure of my specs but assuming that it is caused by my nitrates, phosphates and ammonia, as I am informed is the most common case, will the gw devour and feed off of the ammonia and phosphates and than once I've got rid of the gw (with blackout), in theory at least, I shouldn't get this problem again as my phosphates and ammonia would be significantly lower? Thanks
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)21:48    Post subject: gw Reply with quote

50 gallon
2.5 wpg, 12 hours per day
not densely planted but I have three tall plants touching the top, one grass plant and two mid range plants.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW is at best a temporary cure. If your tank has problems it will come back. It sounds like you actually have a fish tank with too much light and too few plants.

You need to supply the names of the plants you have. Also in a 50 gallon tank you really should have started off with at least 8-10 bunches of fast growing plants. That way you would not have had any ammonia problems.

Are you by chance doing a "fishless" cycle?

Semper Fi
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)22:13    Post subject: gw Reply with quote

no, no I'm not.... but before giving me hell about this Mr. Grigg let me explain. I let my plants grow before adding the fish and my limnophila sessiliflora alone consumes a whole quarter of the tank from top to bottom and is quite dense. Also two ludwigia repens are quite dense and are touching the top alonside a huge hygrophila polysperma while a echinodurus sp. covers the bottom. It isn't "densely" planted but it is planted none the less. Would you personally recommend the blackout method on a planted tank?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)23:39    Post subject: Re: green water Reply with quote

qwert wrote:
I need help, I have a huge green water problem that came out of nowhere. What causes it, and how should I get rid of it?

The cause, like most algae problems is likely to be ammonia/ammonium related...with substrate disturbance being probably the number one cause in established tanks. Anyway, the cause isn't really important to know specifically. What is important is eliminating the GW, then ramping your nutrients back into proper ranges.

Here's five methods to eliminate GW. Blackout, Diatom Filtering, UV Sterilization, Live Daphnia, and Chemical algaecides/flocculents. The first four cause no harm to fish, the fifth one does.

Method No. 1
The blackout means covering the tank for 4 days, no light whatsoever is allowed into the tank during this time. Cover the tank completely with blankets or black plastic trash bags. No feeding of fish and no peeking. Be prepared, killing the algae will result in dead decaying algae that will decompose and pollute the water. Water changes of 50-70% are needed at the beginning and end of the blackout time and ammonia should be monitored also.

Method No. 2
Diatom filters can usually be rented from your LFS. This is my preferred method. Personally, I use my Magnum 350 w/Micron Cartridge coated with diatom powder. Diatom filtering removes the algae and doesn't allow it to decay in the tank. You do have to check the filter often, if you have a really bad case of GW the filter can clog pretty quick. Just clean it and start it up again. Crystal clear water usually takes from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Method No. 3
UV Sterilizers will kill free floating algaes. They also kill free floating parasites and bacteria. They also can be problematic for extended use in a planted tank, as they could cause the
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.06(Wed)6:40    Post subject: Re: gw Reply with quote

qwert wrote:
no, no I'm not.... but before giving me hell about this Mr. Grigg let me explain. I let my plants grow before adding the fish and my limnophila sessiliflora alone consumes a whole quarter of the tank from top to bottom and is quite dense. Also two ludwigia repens are quite dense and are touching the top alonside a huge hygrophila polysperma while a echinodurus sp. covers the bottom. It isn't "densely" planted but it is planted none the less. Would you personally recommend the blackout method on a planted tank?

If you have a quarter of a tank full of Limnophila then you have more than 6 plants. In an earlier post you gave a total of six plants. I know now you meant six DIFFERENT plants not six total plants. But I have seen a lot of people give their TOTAL plant load in exactly the words you stated.

Did you place any fertilizer sticks in the substrate?

Semper Fi
qwert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.06(Wed)7:20    Post subject: gw Reply with quote

no substrate sticks but I am dosing with plant gro iron enriched every two weeks, I hear of people doing it more than this but seeing as how my tank is new all the fertilizer does is create algae so I have to be careful with it.
Luis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)6:22    Post subject: Re: green water Reply with quote

qwert wrote:
I need help, I have a huge green water problem that came out of nowhere. What causes it, and how should I get rid of it? My tank is fairly new and I've been having brown algae blooms but have just been letting it take it's course, is this also something that will go away once a new tank settles?

My tapwater is very high in phosphates other than that its great but that is a kiss of death for planted well lit tanks.
I tried everything and in the end I purchased an inexpensive but I feel underrated tapwater purifier from Aquarium pharmaceuticals and that was the end of the green water.
Its a cheap Di system that removes junk like phosphates before you put the water in the tank. Its hooked up(you can remove it or leave it very easy) to any faucet and you drip the water.
This alone cured my green water which has never come back
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: