Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fluval 404 and my sanity
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leslie Brown
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)9:26    Post subject: Fluval 404 and my sanity Reply with quote

I am almost three years into my hobby and we all know what kind of investment that is. I have a Fluval 404 on my 80 gal. tank. I hate it. It constantly breaks down. To order parts which are not locally stocked I am gouged for shipping and my tank stays down for days at a time only to discover I need another part. The seals are not worth a darn. I am really tired of coming to my office on Monday (or any other day) only to find my tank has overflowed and is once again in the carpet. I am at my wits end. I will release all creatures in the Gulf unless I can get some REAL advise and a pump/filter that will work for more than a few days w/o requiring a new part. Please help. The only reasonable aquarium dealer in my area has gone out of business. Leslie. PS I bought a second 404 and kept the first for parts. 2nd one is just as poor as the first.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluvals..LOL My friend you should get an ehiem, yes very exspensive but for what your spending on fluval an ehiem would be considered cheap.
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Eheim Professional II and Classic series are worth it for a fact. The Rena Filstar XPs are also highly recommended.

Stay away from the Lifeguards, Magnums, Proquatics canister, Via-Aqua, heck just stick with the above recommendations.
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were a freshwater forum I'd agree with these guys but it's not. I've been in this hobby for 15 years the only true filtration that's worth even 10 dollars is a good skimmer. DEF! not HOB filters, not wet/drys either. If you want to chase nitrates forever get bioballs or biowheels.

Cannister filters are good to pull out and use for a rare day. I.e. if you use southdown and are trying to clear the water on a new tank. Kids spill a ton of something in the tank to make it cloudy. Caulerpa meltdowns.

Let me guess, a LFS talked you into it didn't they? Get or build a good skimmer and enjoy the hobby. Also, don't dump anything in your tank like all that c#$% they try to sell for buffering, ca, and everything else. All you need is CaCl, baking soda, and epsom salts. Maybe a bottle of iodide but that's a debate.

Oh and let me throw a wierd one at you, for CaCl I use Prestone Driveway Heat. I know you all think I'm nuts but a very popular brand you all prob. use or have used is EXACTLY that from Dow mixed and sold to you for about 100X markup.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: