Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can't figure out what this thing is
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)0:47    Post subject: Can't figure out what this thing is Reply with quote

This may be a stupid question, as I'm pretty new to all of this, but I figured this is what the board is for. I noticed today that there is something growing in one of the hollows of my live rock. It's round when fully opened, looks kind of like a eye, and retracts to what looks like a stick. It's really far in the hollow so it's not easy to get a good look at. I did some research and it sort of looks like some feather dusters, but I'm not sure, it doesn't have the long tendricals that I've seen on those. Any help would be awesome. Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for algae eaters and sand sifters? Thanks

Chris
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like this?
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, It's really small, and really deep in a hollow. My Scarlet Hermits have been around it and nothing has happened to them, so I don't think it's going after the current inhabitants, but It's far smaller than that picture. It's more of an umbrella looking thing, with yellow colored limbs...when I look at them from an angle. But, it's very small, a little smaller than a dime, and it retracts. It may be a very small duster, but I have no idea, I'll try to post some pics. Of course, that brings me to the other question of algae eaters and sand sifters. I bought a couple things, using my LFS's advise, which at this point I'm thinking is not all that good, and having a sort of inkling that this was the case, I didn't buy anything in bulk, just enough that I could guage whether or not the hermits and snails could live.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't see the pic, but don't worry, it's my computer, not your post... it sounds like apistasia, sometimes called a glass anemone... anyway, if you got live rock, who knows what came in with it... Smile
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillageIdiot wrote:
.. it sounds like apistasia, sometimes called a glass anemone... anyway, if you got live rock, who knows what came in with it... Smile

Sorry, the picture is apistasia. We must be talking about something else.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mark, as I said, I couldn't see the picture... stupid computer...

do all apistasia look the same?
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

More or less. If it looks even vaguely like the picture, it's better to get it out than to worry about id'ing it.
umich79
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very transluscent, which is why, taking a picture of it at this point really won't make much of a difference. I'll try tomorrow with my roommate cammera, but I was pretty surprised I caught it, as it's really deep in a cave in the rock, and like I said, almost completely see-through, except for the outer frills, and a dot in the middle. It's about the size of a dime, perhaps a little smaller, and like I mentioned, the hermits have been around it, so far as one has actually taken to moving in the hollow, and staying there on and off during the week. I've seen the crab in there for up to 2 days straight, then it will go graze for a couple of days and all of the sudden it'd back behind this thing. Anyhow, I'll try tomorrow to get a picture. Thanks though.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a small feather duster. I have some white-translucent feather dusters in my tank. I'm guessing about half an in ch in diamter? If my description is correct then you shouldn't worry about it. Feather dusters are harmless if not beneficial.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: