Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How many watts do I have?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)22:31    Post subject: How many watts do I have? Reply with quote

How would be a easy way to know how many watts do I have on my 10gal. tank. I bought the regular 10gal kit and was wondering on how many watts I have since I want to maybe add some inverts./and live rock once the tanks cycles.

I tried looking on the buld but couldnt read anything to indicate.

thanks

Rob

edit: Bulb reads Eclipes Natural Daylight
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.03(Sun)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long is the bulb. eclipse systems come with normal output fluorecent setups. if it is a 12"(30cm) tube its 8watts, 18" (45cm) tube is 15watts. 24"(60cm) tube is 20watts.

hope that helps,

andrew
2 winged demons
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock lighting, no matter the WPG, is inadequate for the keeping of photosynthetic corals and anemones. In a 10 gallon, you'd really want to stay away from anemones anyway, but a coral nano is certainly an option. Normal Output lighting just doesn't have the PAR and intensity necessary to keep most corals.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems its 15watts 18". I guess I will throw in there a live rock and 2 clowns and thats that for that tank. give it to the little one and get started on what I would like to be a 90gal.

now I saw in the store like little 5 and even 3 gal tanks with a complete reef. I mean coral, anemones, the works
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nano Reefs" that small are extremely difficult to care for and should really only be attempted by more experienced aquarist. FWIW, you're not really limited in terms of inverts. Stars, Cukes, Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, etc. could all work in a 10, depending on the species, of course.
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.07(Thu)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a hood fixture that has 2 screw in sockets instead of a fluorescent strip you can go to home depot and get 2 19w 6500K spiral style lights and have 3.8 wpg. That will take care of xenia, gsp's, yellow stars, some acros, kenya tree's, really everything but extreme light requiring corals. Those are the cheap lights too so 15 in bulbs and prob only 10 on a diff. hood.
modemfox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I don't have to start another thread I have a 55 Gallon tank with 4x 65 watt compact florecents would that be enough for say, a candy anenome? or possibly a bubble?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no but it has been done. I've lost 2 RBTA's in the past in the 4 wpg range with pc's. And that in all 6500K which has the highest PAR. I've had them at the same wpg if it's mh's. Water conditions outstanding in all cases too. My current tank is 6 wpg pc's and I'm too chicken to get another one til I build my canopy and add my mh's.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, no, not enough to keep an anemone, and it's Condy, short for Condylactis, not Candy. Although, I have seen bleached and dyed Condylactis sold as "Candy Anemones", usually dyed yellow with tetracycline. There are no bright yellow anemones.
modemfox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

so then how much light would I need? WPG wise? Right now I am running a coralife Compact flourescent light with 2 actinic 65 watt bulbs and 2 6700 K Coralife bulbs. What would I have to change and add? I really want a nice reef tank and I have already spent the money for the salt the argonite and the sump with the pump overflow box and a protien skimmer. And if its metal halides is there a way to get them from say, a hardware store or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: