Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blue legged hermit crab HELP! I think he broke his leg?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.10(Thu)23:12    Post subject: Blue legged hermit crab HELP! I think he broke his leg? Reply with quote

OK theres this blue legged hermit in my tank and well he refuses to go into a shell! he looks like hes trying to chop one of his legs off with his claw? could this leg be broken? is there anyway to get him to live through this? what should I do? I don't have anywhere to isolate him and I am worried that he will become a snack for a larger hermit. I have been trying to help him for a few hours. I tried to get him to eat but no.. I tried placing a large shells around him but no! he always leaves his shell as if he just want to die!? what it wrong with this invert?????
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.11(Fri)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one not go back into his shell. I have seen one lose his shell and when I placed one next to him he crawled back in.

If he doesn't want to go into his shell don't force him. It May be he's trying to molt and has picked a bad place to do it.

If it is a broken leg don't worry it'll grow back.

If you can't isolate him there's really nothing you can do. He'll survive in a cup of saltwater for days. I did this with a bad one that kept killing snails. Just change half the water everyday. I eventually took him to the LFS.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.11(Fri)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortuneatly he died over night and then he was eaten.
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats to bad to hear about your crab. Maby SOS is right he might have had problems with his molt and his shell wasnt coming off right. Or if his leg was broke did it look like anything could have fell on him maby a rock or someting?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: