Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mushroom coral ?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2003.04.10(Thu)22:28    Post subject: Mushroom coral ? Reply with quote

I recently put some mushrooms in my tank. At the shop they were very open and full. In my tank they seem to become shy. I have 75 watts PC lighting, this is why I'm going with mushrooms. The tank has been going for over 1 month now. I have 20 pounds of live rock in a 45 tall. And a couple of one inch Damsels. I was told that it would take a few days for them to open up fully. I placed them in an area about mid way on the reef. They are away from strong current from the power heads. All water peramaters check out fine, athough the salinity level may be a hair higher then normal. Will they eventually open fully or is there something else I can do?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.10(Thu)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

eventualy they will open up. Also I have read and heard that mushroom corals don't like lots of circulation. basically aim the powerheads away from them. your tank is a 45g right with 55pc. OK thats a little over 1wpg(wattpergallon) I have a 32g tall with 60watts of no flouresent. thats about 2wpg and my mushrooms are doing fine. good luck with your 45g!
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.11(Fri)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not only wattage its placement. In a 45 gallon that's 24 inches tall. You need more wattage than in say a 50 gallon that is only 18 inches tall.

If the mushrooms are at the bottom of your tank add atleast a second bulb. What type of bulb is it. actinic, 10k, 6500? If its a 10K I'd add a second bulb of actinic(blue lighting). For right now put them as high in the tank as you can. About midway up the tank would be fine.
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.11(Fri)13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushrooms are one of the most hardy of the corals. The should most likely wind up doing fine and will open up shortly.

If not, you may want to do what was suggested, and play around with the placement, in respect to how close it is to the light, and the flow.

If that does not work, then you may want to report all your params and we can see if there is any suggestions there.

Also, how did you acclimate them?

HTH.

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I floated them in the bag for about 20 mins. I added alittle of the tank water to the bag after 20 mins. They seem to be coming out a bit more today, but not the full bloom they were in the shop. The lighting is coming off Actinic blue bulbs. the lighing is coming off 1 55 watt pc and one 26 watt pc light 2x13. I was able to direct the flow of the power heads away from the mushrooms. It's only been 2 days since I put them in the tank, so I'll see in the next couple of days. Thanks for the replys.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.12(Sat)10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There all actinic?

Photosynthesis will not occur effeciently under all blue light. I'd replace one of those bulbs with a 10K or 6500K. Or you'll have pretty short lived corals.

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I I'm ordering some new Pc bulds for my smaller PC light. In the mean time I put a 20 watt power glo in place while my bulbs are coming in. The mushrooms are already blooming bigger with the light. SOS, Thanks for the light tip.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

For newly added corals it can take a few days to open up. I am running pc lighting as well you just have to stick to the lower lighting corals like mushrooms, leahters, and polyps. But there is such a variety with those you can still have a very nice tank. I bought some leather frags that are doing very well, you can try some of those.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: