Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
preparing for a SW FOWLR
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfierydragon
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)13:42    Post subject: preparing for a SW FOWLR Reply with quote

well I'm making a list of equipment ill need to get for the tank[29 g]
the list consists of

substrate - 50lbs[most likely not gonna use it all] pool filter sand from homedepot + crushed corals

rock - 15-20 lbs of fiji + other various live rock [you can mix various live
rock, correct?] and about 10 lbs of dead rock.

heater - 150watt visi-therm heater

lighting - twin light florecent fixture[not sure what bulbs, advice appeciated =]

filtration - I'm planning on using a whisper 10 filter to get rid of debris but I will buy a skimmer too, I do not know what skimmer would be good for this size tank so I would like some advice on this.

well thats my basic shopping list for equipment, am I missing anything? any advice and opinions are appreciated

alsoo, how many fish could be housed in this tank,
is it possible to keep 4 false percula clownfish in this tank?[ all will be juve males, 2 will be the orange false percs and the other 2 will be black false percs]
well to sum it up is it possible to have these fish in here or is it overstocking?

2 orange false perc clowns
2 black false perc clowns
4 spotted cardinalfish
2 algae bleenies
1 2 spotted goby
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
and a couple of snails

advice welcome Very Happy

Last edited by redfierydragon on 2005.04.01(Fri)19:18; edited 1 time in total
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stocking plan seems to be a pretty heavy load for a beginner (like me... :0) ). I'd stick to 1 cardinal... clowns can be pretty territorial w/ eachother as well, so you may want to be careful about how many you put in your tank...

finally, I'd recommend 10,000k pc flor. bulbs... satelite makes a nice 30" w/ actinic, gives the tanka nice glow...

the live rock should be a good bio filter, but like you said a nice HOB protein skimmer will help keep your water clean and aerate your tank...

good luck! imo, ordering your protein skimmer and pc lighting system should be done online... you can save quite a bit of money...

www.marineandreef.com - I used them for my light, great guys and currentUSA recommends them as a dealer

www.marinedepot.com - I have no experience w/ them, but they have some good prices

www.petsolutions.com - they've been recommended to me as has

www.drsfostersmith.com

again, congrats on getting started and good luck!
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my skimmer of choice for aquariums 20 to 75 gallons:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F69/Class/Fish+Supplies+Protein+Skimmers/T1/F69+0062+0125/EDP/1197/Itemdy00.aspx

I have used this skimmer exclusively for about 5 years now. Very easy to clean, easy to adjust, very quiet, the venturi rarely (never) clogs, and it is very affordable at the site I linked you to.

I also think your bioload is to heavy. The filtration would be fine, but saltwater fish really need more space than freshwater. I think you would have some compatability issues with such a heavy stocking level.

Good luck,

Mark
redfierydragon
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm thanks for the equipment help guys =]
but, around how many fish can live in a 29 or 30 gallon if they're all aproxximately the size of the fish I mentioned in the above post? or do you guys have suggestions? thanks =]
redfierydragon
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more question, well actually two hahaha

1. I researched on lights and found that the correct lighting is VERY expensive lol, is it possible to get away with a single light strip with a VHO 10,000k bulb with a moonlight? Will a VHO bulb work with a standard florescent light fixture? or do you need to purchase a special fixture?

2. How do you guys keep your pH up without using chemicals[btw my tap has a pH of 7.0 - 7.1] I need as much advice in this field as possible, thanks =]

alsoo I've contemplated about my stock list, what do you guys think about this

2 juvenile male false percs[so that one can turn female and the other can be alpha male][will be introduced at the same time]
2 spotted cardinal fish[will be introducing these at the same time]
1 2 spot goby
1 algae bleeny
1 orange firefish
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
and I've decided on the snails but just don't know how many, bumble bee snails and Nassarius Snails

so how does this sound? still over stocked?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I researched on lights and found that the correct lighting is VERY expensive lol, is it possible to get away with a single light strip with a VHO 10,000k bulb with a moonlight? Will a VHO bulb work with a standard florescent light fixture? or do you need to purchase a special fixture?

you cannot simply put a VHO floro bulb on a normal floro setup you would have to buy and install a VHO ballast.

Quote:
2. How do you guys keep your pH up without using chemicals[btw my tap has a pH of 7.0 - 7.1] I need as much advice in this field as possible, thanks =]

the salt mix should raise your pH to a sutiable level, if it dosen't then increase your alkinity using baking soda.

Quote:
2 juvenile male false percs[so that one can turn female and the other can be alpha male][will be introduced at the same time]
2 spotted cardinal fish[will be introducing these at the same time]
1 2 spot goby
1 algae bleeny
1 orange firefish
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
and I've decided on the snails but just don't know how many, bumble bee snails and Nassarius Snails

OK too many fish. your going to have to choose between the clowns and the cardinals and the fire fish and the blenny. the invert list is good, nassarius snails mainly eat left over food and not much algae but they're cool and fun to watch.

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: