Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
IMPORTANT: I'm being sued :-(
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)23:37    Post subject: IMPORTANT: I'm being sued :-( Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry to say that the situation is not good at all for the site. Two shops from New York - Age of Aquariums in Brooklyn and Aqua Hobby in Manhattan - have filed a joint lawsuit against the site, claiming ilegal use of their registered business names for the site (Age of Aquariums) and for the domain (aquahobby.com). They're demanding financial compensation for the 7 years of existence of the site, termination of the use of their names, and transfer of the domain name to their control.

This is obviously a commercial ploy with the intent to take advantage of the fact that the aquahobby.com domain has become extremely well established on the internet, with top rankings on Google, Yahoo, etc, and with thousands of links pointing here which will become free advertisement for them when they have control of the domain, but since the site is hosted in American territory, apparently the complaint has precedent and will be judged this Friday. I have a friend in New York following the case.

Regardless of whether the final solution is decided now, according to him it's quite possible that the judge will declare temporary freezing of the site until the issue is resolved, which implies in prohibition to make any new changes on the site, including the posting of messages on the board. If this comes to be, tomorrow I will post a notice here together with its closing.

Whatever happens, I'd like to express my deepest appreciation to all who have been with us all these years, who've believed in our proposal and have made the Age of Aquariums what is is today.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad So very sorry to hear this, Marcos. I wish there was something we could do. Anyone have any ideas?

~Haname
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope in the future we can still visit this site, its the best forum out there I think anyway. All the members on here are so nice to new comers not like other forums and give valuable information. Well I'll hope for the best.

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am devastated to hear this Marcos. Best of luck with everything, and keep us posted. Sad
Jacquie W
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Although I'm new to fish-keeping and this site, I'm deeply indebted to you, Marcos, for this site - for the brightness of its philosophy and the rich volumes of knowledge, information, and counsel. If there's Any way to be of Help and Support to you in the foul affair of this lawsuit, like Haname and I'm sure countless others here, I'd be more than glad and grateful to do it!
~ Stunned and appalled, Jacquie
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're sueing because of that. pitty we can't just change the site to www.aquahobbynotthestupidNYlfses.com . Marcos I hope all goes well. maybe you can make a compremise with them. setup a forum for them so they can post ads for their shop ect. good luck marcos I hope the judge is smart enough to relise those morons just want $$$.

also next thing you know they will be sueing the australian OLS www.aquahobby.com.au.

andrew
2 winged demons
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Marcos, I hope everything works out, and if anything does happen to the site good luck to everyone Smile

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the legal issue sorts out for the age of aquarium site. If the legal issue does not sort out why not change the name from Age of Aquarium to Marocs Avila aquarium site so the aquarium site stays on the web. I wish you best in the future outcome of the legal issue.

Good luck from Josh
WilbyZ
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's just lame.

Why would any Aquarium/Fish shop keeper in their right minds want to sue a great source of aquarium/fish information site and take it down! (Not to mention other fish shops with same names in the world lol).

Maybe these New Yorkers will sue http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/ as well? Their shop name is the same!!!

I have a feeling this is a April fools joke! ha ha
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcos,

This sucks. Frankly, I don't see how they can even sue you for financial compensation since, to my understanding, this site is a labor of love and not a financial venture.

Also, and oddly, according to the NYC yellow pages neither of these shops exist. (Of course this means nothing, but it would raise my suspicions a bit. Unless this is a dirty april fools joke).

As I am a Brooklynite and getting into Manhattan is literally a 5 minute train ride for me, if there is any assistance I can offer you locally, just give a shout. If you need to find legal representation here, I'm 2 blocks away from Brooklyn Law and would be happy to talk to some folks there about worthy copyright lawyers.

Again, if there's anything I can do, let me know. (PM me, I'll gladly give you all of my contact info).

-Jake
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: