Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What Altitude do you live at...
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)21:57    Post subject: What Altitude do you live at... Reply with quote

And do you think it changes the "Rules" for keeping you fish?

I Live at just under 7,000 feet above sea level and it seams to me that either the rules change with elevation, or my tanks a freaks of nature. The main one I have is a 20 gallon with 3 Golds, 1 two inch red cap, and 2 four-ish inch comets. With about 5ish plants and I have NO issues with water quality or fish health in fact they seam so happy there seams, to always be some kind of breeding action goind on. So am I crazy, Are the "Rules" wrong, or is it just a freak of nature. Confused

Glitch
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't sound offensive but I don't really see anything special about your setup. Three young Goldfish in a 75 L is a reasonable bioload, although it's not recommendable because as they grow into adulthood the bioload will become excessive for that size tank. How long have you had them? Read my sig below and you'll know why I'm asking Wink
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had them for about six months I rescued them from my sisters coworker when she move way out of state(Green algee on walls and floor so thick ya couldn't see the fish!) and the reason I asked is from just reserching on the net some people say thats too many fish others too few and I was curious if it had some thing to do with the too many people being marked as low landers. Point of interest I'm currently in my first attempt at rasing fry from my gold for the first time so far so good(week 2)
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's what I suspected. You see, just about anyone can keep 3 young goldfish alive in a 20 G tank for six months. For many casual fish owners that's good enough, so they will claim to have "successfully kept" goldfish and gladly tell others that you "can" keep 3 goldfish in such a tank. In fact, most of the time the tank at hand is 10 G or even smaller.

But here on this site and in many other good sites out there who promote responsible fishkeeping like we do, 6 months is nothing when compared to the 20+ year potential lifespan of a goldfish. If a person did not raise the fish at least into adulthood (which for goldfish means several years) then no claim can be made about success with these fish under the conditions they lived in.

The main controversies that occur in such cases are almost always related to this difference of standards between the casual fish owner and the more dedicated/concerned/experienced hobbyist. When an experienced fishkeeper says a that a certain setup is not recommendable, in his/her mind it is automatically implied that a recommendable setup needs to be viable in the long term (several years), while the casual fish owner will be basing his/her recommendations on whether a baby fish can stay alive or not in the tank for a few months.
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the lady I got the golds from the 2 comets are 10 years old but at four-ish inches I'm not sure, the red cap I have is anyones guess. If nothing else though I am Interested in if people think altitude plays any role in Fish Keeping. due to oxygen levels or whatever.
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: