Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Humane Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ram man
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like a human garbage dump I will eatn any thing you put in front of me. being a vegitarian takes a lot of self control. I tried to be a vegitarian. that same day is started I quit.

I have a short temper and a kid called me a p##sy and then I got saspended. Sad

if you r a vegitarian I give you a lot of credit. but if some one put discus on a plate in front of me and I didn't know what it was I would eat it. and if I did know what it was and taste good I would eat it still. I didn't know the fish personaly. but if I kill somthing while I go on a hunting trip with my uncle I will even eat the bone maro. Laughing mmmmmmm tasty.

o and I give you vegans a lot of credit for controling your selves

2 gallon
-blue and pink betta pinky ( yes after the friday movies
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Food for thought: in nature, how many Oscars are born in a typical spawn? How many make it to adulthood and how many get killed/eaten by other animals? Every time a fish gets killed, isn't it ensuring that the others have a better chance of making it into adulthood? So what is fundamentally different between nature's way and a breeder->distributor->fish shop->hobbyist way?

Well to me the only fundamental difference is that when they die in nature, its natures way. When they die on the way to the pet shop its because of our own selfish infatuation with having some small creature to look after in our own home.

Quote:
Seriously though, why one earth would the point of life be the end result?
I eat a gorgeous dinner... we all know what the end result is a day or two later... FLUSH... was that the point of eating?

No, it wasn't the point of eating. The point of eating is to stay alive a little bit longer so that you can ultimately die. But really, I think our only goal in life is to procreate. It is the one goal that is imbedded in our instincts. We're no different than our animal counterparts there I think. For example, there is a species of fish found in a desert somwhere that lives in a natural spring. They have no known predators and they are the only population of their kind in the world. Why do they live? Their only purpose in life is to keep on living, to procreate. But to what end?

Eventually when you do look at the big picture and realize how utterly important you are you will die. THe only reason that Zaphod didn't die is because he was in the parallel universe that was created for him by Zarniwoop. Oh, and it was a cow at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe that wants to be eaten, not a pig. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Loachie07
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say, I have thouroughly enjoyed reading this conversation, I think you all make very valid points, but I just want to share what I think.

about a week ago after this was posted I decided to check out the peta website just for the heck of it. I came across a facts page... they were getting all into the fact that the meat industry uses like, more than half of the agricultural land in the us, and how the "meat animals" produce 87,000 tons of waste per second, and they had some astronmical amount of water they consume and how they eat enough food to like, rid the world of hunger.

did they fail to notice the other side? did they fail to mention how much waste would be produced if these animals weren't killed? how much food they would eat, how much space they would take up if they were just allowed to sit there? I mean, lets be honest with ourselves, are cows really that helpful to anything? I do'nt mean to degrade them, but they just kinda, eat grass. heaven forbid they eat any of the grass!! yes, they are lives as well, but if it were me, I wouldn't want to sit there eating grass all day... its not like you can throw them a frisbee. I personally think that rodeo bulls lead pretty harsh lives

one comment made by peta really sticks out in my mind. they claim that animals were never meant to be eaten by humans. OK, so how did we survive for those millions of years in caves? I really dought any of us lived on berries and leaves. would there even be a human race as it is today if our ancestors didn't kill to eat? I truley believe the God put some of the animals on this earth so humans could live off them, and thrive off them.

so all you vegetarians or vegans out there, I really do respect your decision, and I hope I havn't offended anyone, but I just had some stuff I needed to get off my chest. ill talk to you homies on the flip side
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)5:49    Post subject: Animals Reply with quote

I personally believe you have to eat something whether meat or vegetables. The debate is about animals pain but what about plant suffering the pain when we eat them e.g lettuce. I have personally notice the effect of not eating meat on my nutritional level. I do agree with Loachie07 that cows are unenviromentaly friendly and not killed humanly but the primary industries just needs to change their behaviour. I am against unhumane killing of animals. Maybe worth trying an alternative meat source to cows or chicken e.g kangeroo or emu. However I will kill the animal humanly if the animal threat including disease to my loved one well being or when my pets or ourselves have to eat. This is a necessarity for our survival just like a lion kills zebra.

I have huge respect for the vegetarians having the right to choice. (Hopefully I will not be recarnated back as a lettuce Ha! Ha!)

from Josh
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh do you know what a pneumatic hammer is? It doesn't get much quicker and humane than that. The amount of harmful green house gas that the average cow will produce in her lifetime is also the equivalent of driving a honda civic 4-5 blocks once. Just thought Id point that out Wink
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jump to: