Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Still Learning
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthea
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)18:44    Post subject: Still Learning Reply with quote

Please see new post for fishy issue, I was trying to just change this post. But I will start a new one

Last edited by anthea on 2005.04.14(Thu)14:49; edited 2 times in total
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute tank!

Do your betta and gourami get along with each other? It's not usually recommended to keep these fish together, so I will be interested in your experience as things progress. Both these fish need access to the surface, so make sure that your gourami is letting your betta get some air. If problems develop, you can remove the betta and give him a separate habitat in a 1 gallon bowl.

For planting, you would need a different substrate, or stick with plants like java fern, anubias, java moss, riccia -- plants that do not root in the substrate.

~Haname
brennus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to complement you, though... For a beginner (Which I assume you are) this is a beautiful tank! Smile Great job.
anthea
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes was a bit worried about the betta but he seems to be the boss and has been seen chasing the others on occasion. I am in the process of changing the gravel just taking a few large stones out at a time, each water change and putting some more small gravel in, ongoing process as all fish activities seem to be.
Anthea
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME honeys can be much less agressive than their dwarf cousins. Sometimes they will get along with other anibatids (sp?). I would still keep an eye on them for a few more months before you decide everything is kosher. Smile

The tank looks gorgeous. Even my 10g that's been planted forever can't look that good and believe me I've tried.
anthea
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend numerous hours avoiding work watching them so will keep an close eye. I tell you I can see how this become an addiction I am already thinking of another tank, you people must have excellent self control!!!!!
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get another tank, go big!! if you get another small one it'll just make it worse, trust me.

BTW, very pretty little tank.
Chaffe
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the Jebo 228 tank? If so that's the same tank I have. The jets from the hood trickle filter look quite familiar.

Is the lighting in the hood 2 x 8W T5's? I found that it wasn't enough to keep my plants alive. Except for the java fern that is. My bulb cover was very scratched and mineralised. You might have better luck.

I love the substrate it looks good but how does it function with your under gravel filter? Thinking about it... it might be good to have the coarse gravel so that the powerhead takes all the gunk straight through the gravel up to the trickle filter.

You could try planting rooting plants in little pots with finer substrate and then bury the pots in the pebbles you have.

Edit: I checked at home and my tank is a R338 - faulty brain Embarassed I was surprised that the configuration has changed I.e. no UGF. I wonder if the lighting has changed as well. Do you have 2 thin little tubes (like <1/2") or one big fat one (~3/4")?

Last edited by Chaffe on 2005.04.01(Fri)20:19; edited 1 time in total
anthea
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a R338 no undergravel filter, the lights have F8w on them. I reckon the plants will last a few months, the plant in the photo (no idea what is is) has sent down roots
Flyboy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking tank! I always wondered how large stones would look in a tank over the typical sand or gravel. It looks great!
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: