Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
58 Gallon Planted Tank
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)13:23    Post subject: 58 Gallon Planted Tank Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pictures of my 58 gal. tank. Any suggestions or idea's on how I can improve the tank would be appreciated.
Mark

this picture is with the light's on high noon mode

picture of the dupla C02 diffuser underneath the filter intake, also the airstone that runs only at night.

this picture is with the lighting on dawn/dusk mode, the fish really like this.

Here is a picture of the inner workings.

a shot of the light systems
back to front, (20 watt FL dawn/dusk), (110watt CF main), (30watt FL high noon).

specs.
58 gallon oceanic
fluval 304 filter
maxi-jet power head with sponge filter for additional circulation running during lighting cycle.
airstone running only at night only
pressure C02 with pH controller
3 lighting modes
20 watt FL from 11:00 am-11:00 pm
110 watt CF from 11:30 am-10:00pm
30 watt FL from 2:30pm-6:30pm
nutrients: greg watson (premix and pot/nitrate), Flourish (phosphorus and potassium).
Substrate (Flourite)
50% weekly water changes
6 angelfish
8 harlequin rasbora's
2 cory cats
8 oto's
2 blue rams
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any suggestions for you, but your tank is pretty good looking!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
Rossco
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tank! I wish I could do something like that... Could you give us a shot of your rams? Thanks.
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
You must have spent quite some money for that light workings! Very well built! Only suggestion I could think of is, maybe you could try adding some red plants! Since you have such good lighting, I belive red plants would make your tank very vibrant! Smile Good job!
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I would like to get rid of the hygro/sunsets since they grow like weeds and are kind of a mess with the roots growing out of the sides of the plants everywhere, maybe someone could suggest a large red plant for the left rear corner and the right mid area where the sunsets are. BTW there is a red crypt in there. I also had some java ferns growing on the driftwood in the center but I think the lighting killed them, is there another good low maintainence plant that will grow on the driftwood? The only light upgrade I had was the 110 watt CF, the 30 watt lamp came with the tank and the 20watt is a spare from my 20 long tank after I upgraded that tanks light. Sorry Rossco I do not have a picture of the rams, but I'll see what I can do.
Mark
Jonojames
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick quetsion, where did you get those light controllers, who makes them, I live in the Uk and have had to make my own to get that kind of set up as have never seen a ready produced unit before?

Let me know if they have a web address if you can as I would love to talk to the manufacturer.

cheers
jono
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controllers are made by coralife (I think) I bought them from Big Als, here is a link http://www.bigalsonline.com/splash.html
They work great, the timer will control two banks of plugs, in other words when the light plug banks switch off the next bank of plugs will switch on (for a night time light or in my case air stones. They also have plugs that are not effected by the timer. I have one single timer and one double timer.
Mark
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell timers similar to that. I think they're made by Coralife. Not positive though...

I like the dawn/dusk effect. Very cool. I want to get a Coralife Lunar light for my bichir tank so I can grow plants in there and do a dawn/dusk effect and have moon lights. They're really expensive though. I think I'll look for some cheaper ones on Ebay. Does Big Al's have a decent selection?

Byez! Very Happy

P.S. This is my 500th post!! Woot!!!
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dusk effect is only a 20 watt 6500 k FL strip light at the very back of the tank, has kind of a green yellow color to it. The fish love this setting.
Yes big Al's has a decent selection, the double timers a faily new.
Mark
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: