Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano Cubes....Are they worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those 12 gallon nanocubes.
I wouldn't use it for saltwater on a dare.

The water pump needs constant adjustment.
It gets too hot.
It's just plain too small.

HOWEVER:
Now they have a new 24 gallon version with two lights in it as well as bluemoon LEDs. Even better, the hood has two fans in it to keep things cool, and the water outlet is directionally adjustable.
best of all, you can usually get these things for under 200 bucks, so what's the point of buying the 12 gallon version for almost as much?

I use my 12 gallon nanocube as a plant tank with Ember Tetras, and it works fine for that. One day I'll probably set up a new 24 cube as a reef, but I'll never make a reef out of the 12.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in melbourne where we have an average 30'C summer and now and then around 40'C. my tank has never gone over 28'C. fun with icecubes slow cool topups.

however a nano saltwater aquarium is not impossible. if you don't want fish and just want some corals, shrimps and hermit crabs a 12 gallon or 7.5g would be sutiable. as long as you have the right equitment, well ventilated lighting and a nice filter or skimmer depending on bioload.

a small nano reef with some corals even low light corals(if worried about heat) such as mushrooms and a coral banded shrimp would be rather attractive.

my 2 cents

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: